I decided to jump on the bandwagon and try out the new "Pro" version of the webcam utility when I received the email. I even paid for the year subscription, hoping this software will solve a problem I had with the older version and let me use my M50 Mk II instead of my R6. However, when I start the software after subscribing, I am prevented from using any subscriber features, and every 30 seconds or so I receive a message: "Activation Service Access Failure". The utility app shows that I have an active subscription, but the activation service error continues to appear no matter how many times I follow the advice to logout and try again later.
If this issue cannot be resolved soon, I will be cancelling my subscription. Why pay for something that you can't access? I really want this to work, and I'm willing to pay the annual subscription if it does work.
Incidentally, all help articles are for the original version (two years out of date) and there is no content to be found anywhere for this version or this issue. If you need a technical writer to fix that, I have over 20 years experience and I am currently available. 🙂
I'm sorry to hear your pro subscription isn't loading correctly in the EOS Webcam Utility. Since the issue is continuing even after adding the software to your firewall whitelist and uninstalling/re-installing it at that point we would recommend calling to trouble shoot your account. The EOS Webcam Utility phone support team can be reached at 1-844-226-6692 from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Eastern time Monday through Friday and 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Eastern time on Saturday.
We appreciate feedback on trouble shooting articles customers would like us to add. We do take customer suggestions and feedback into consideration when we are updating our products, articles, and processes.
I was able to install the utility on my Windows 11 laptop and it worked fine. I was also able to install it on my M1 Mac Mini and it worked fine.
Apparently, the issue is only happening on my main desktop computer running Windows 10 with all current updates. I am slowly removing other software to see if I can find the source of the conflict. At least I have alternatives available that do work, so I can move forward testing the utility during the trial phase. I really hope I don't have to reinstall everything on that computer to start fresh.
I will consider the issue closed but will update this thread if I find a conflict that might help others.