cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS webcam utility not working with Canon R

AustinEgger
Contributor

Hello,

I have wanted to use the webcam utility for many months on my computer but no matter what I do it won't function and I receive the screenshot below along with a computer icon on my camera. I have a windows 10 PC will an intel CPU and an rtx 2070.

I have tried installing different versions of 0.9, 1.1, 2, and others. I've tried many different cables, ensured wifi is off on my camera, and all the other options people suggest like having it on camera mode. I've tried a totally new windows 10/11 installation on a laptop and I get this issue. My camera is on the latest firmware. 

I have a friend who uses their eos R6 on their PC automatically recognizes my R as a webcam and displays an image. I think it is a driver issue or something because I compared my device manager and my control panel devices and printers and they are different than my friends. My camera appears as a canon digital camera in the unspecified section of control panel devices and printers. On his computer it appears in the devices section as a Canon R. I have included screenshots below.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

AustinEgger_1-1674789031343.pngAustinEgger_2-1674789047152.pngAustinEgger_3-1674789066810.png

AustinEgger_5-1674789110053.png

AustinEgger_6-1674789129425.pngAustinEgger_0-1674787817270.jpeg

AustinEgger_4-1674789076718.png

13 REPLIES 13

I am in the USA with an official copy of win10 that has the windows media player and the Windows Media Pack.

I have tried updating the drivers and there are none available. I have also tried uninstalling and disabling the device and then re-adding the device with no luck.

I do not use a hub. I plug everything into my motherboard. I have tried with 2 usb-c to usb-c and two USB-A to USB-C cables. My friend's computer and keyboard can use these cables to connect and be used as a webcam. Likewise, I have also plugged them into my laptop's ports, with a fresh copy of windows 10 and I tried windows 11 but neither worked. The camera still appears under portable devices as MTP USB Device. 

AustinEgger_0-1675140143757.png

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I should have mentioned it in my original post but I had tried many things. I previously did both putting the camera on video mode with no luck and disabling EOS Utility Launcher Service with no luck either.” 

Have you ever tried a different USB cable?  Be sure you are using an actual USB data cable, not just a power/charging cable like you can buy at a gas station.

One way to test your USB cable is by removing all Canon Utilities and apps.  Install the regular EOS Utility 3, and see if you PC can connect with your camera.  Make sure your camera has Wi-Fi and Bluetooth disabled.  The camera does not know how to switch between USB and wireless communication on its own.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I have tried with 2 USB-c to USB-c and two USB-A to USB-C cables. My friend's computer and keyboard can use these cables to connect and be used as a webcam. Likewise, I have also plugged them into my laptop's ports, with a fresh copy of windows 10 and I tried windows 11 but neither worked. 

I have installed EOS utility 3.16. I don't think EOS utility is detecting the camera either. My main computer and my test laptop make the standard windows noise when connected but the utility doesn't launch automatically or detect the camera after being launched. 

This person has the same issue and similarly the software works for the R6 which is what my friends camera is but not for my R on my PC or test laptop. But it doesn't look like there was a helpful fix. https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Camera-Software/EOS-utility-does-not-recognize-my-EOS-R/td-p/3600...

I have never turned Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on the camera due to never needing it.

Give Canon a call at (866) 261-9362. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements