cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Webcam utility using 100% CPU on Mac

nakul
Contributor

The issue is that process "EWCService" is making the fans noisy with 100%+ CPU whenever the video is running on both Zoom and Google Meet on Chrome. What's the problem?

I'm using:

1. MacBook Pro with Apple M1 Max
  2. macOS Ventura 13.2.1
  3. EOSWebcamUtility-MAC1.1.pkg

I have tried this on MacOS Monterey as well as Ventura. Tried both Intel and Apple Silicon Macs. The software runs fine but takes a lot of CPU.

8 REPLIES 8

Stephen

Which camera are you using?

I'm using Canon EOS 1500D. It is supported as per this: https://asia.canon/en/support/0200629304

John_Q
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello nakul,

You may want to try the updated 2.0 version of the EOS Webcam Utility software. You're using the web-based clients so that's good. RAM should be at least 2GB. Screen resolution of 1024x768 minimum, Screen colors 32,000 or more and color bit set to 16 bit or more. Otherwise, make sure to not run any additional programs that aren't necessary while using the tool would be my suggestion.

Hi John,

I said that v2.0 is working but EWCService is still taking 100% CPU. So it didn't work as a solution.

Hazel_T
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi nakul,

In EOS Webcam Utility Pro you can click on the gear icon to pull up the Settings menu. Select Video and there will be a Preview Framerate option. To reduce CPU usage try using the Preview using lower framerate option. Setting it that way reduces how many frames the computer needs to preview for you and it frees up CPU usage. Selecting that lowers the frame rate of the preview you see on your end, but it does not change the framerate and quality of the video people are seeing on their end. 

nakul
Contributor

Hi John,

I uninstalled v1.1 and then installed v2.0. In all the web based clients I see "EOS Webcam Utility Pro" and it's working fine.

I have 32GB RAM, screen resolution is 1920*1080

EWCService is still running at 100%

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Could you post a screenshot of the app that show the service running at 100%?  Thanks.

If the service were truly running at 100% and consuming all CPU resources, then there would any time left for anything else to run.  Your computer should crash if it were truly running at 100%.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Screenshot 2023-03-24 at 10.02.30 AM.pngScreenshot 2023-03-24 at 10.03.07 AM.png

I think the computer does not crash because of more than 1 CPU cores to manage other processes.

Announcements