cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Webcam Utility - shuts off then on every 30 minutes

thewong1024
Contributor

I have a Canon 7D Mark II and a Macbook running MacOS 10.15.7 running the 1.1 release of the EOS Webcam Utility.  I have the camera setup as a webcam and works great except for one new behavior.  If I'm in a meeting longer than 30 minutes, it'll shutoff almost exactly at 30 minutes for a couple seconds and then reconnect.  It sounds like it is power cycling.  In the Setting menu I already adjusted the Auto Power Off to disabled.  When I had the beta webcam utility, this wasn't happening.  Only really started noticing it after I updated it to 1.1.

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Try setting auto power off to 1 minute.

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

@bridgewrote:
Great question. I don’t have any idea why it worked. I guess I just got lucky.

If I had to venture a guess as to why it worked, then it would be because the default setting is not disabled. One minute might be the default, I’m not sure.

It is a safe bet that the Webcam Utility has to make a number of assumptions about camera settings. The best assumptions to make would be settings are at their factory defaults. The same app seems to be used with a wide variety of cameras, each with their own set of menus and options.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

We can only guess at the logic flow chart where auto power off feature is turned off, but acts anyway. Auto power of 1 minute is taken as ignore power off. I wonder how many things were tried before guessing auto power off in 1 minute. Will Canon recognize this as a bug and fix it?

iamdez99
Apprentice

I solved the camera turning off issue but now the eos webcam utility is the one disconnecting from the camera but camera remains on... not sure whats going on

Announcements