cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Webcam Utility - shuts off then on every 30 minutes

thewong1024
Contributor

I have a Canon 7D Mark II and a Macbook running MacOS 10.15.7 running the 1.1 release of the EOS Webcam Utility.  I have the camera setup as a webcam and works great except for one new behavior.  If I'm in a meeting longer than 30 minutes, it'll shutoff almost exactly at 30 minutes for a couple seconds and then reconnect.  It sounds like it is power cycling.  In the Setting menu I already adjusted the Auto Power Off to disabled.  When I had the beta webcam utility, this wasn't happening.  Only really started noticing it after I updated it to 1.1.

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Try setting auto power off to 1 minute.

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

@bridgewrote:
Great question. I don’t have any idea why it worked. I guess I just got lucky.

If I had to venture a guess as to why it worked, then it would be because the default setting is not disabled. One minute might be the default, I’m not sure.

It is a safe bet that the Webcam Utility has to make a number of assumptions about camera settings. The best assumptions to make would be settings are at their factory defaults. The same app seems to be used with a wide variety of cameras, each with their own set of menus and options.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

We can only guess at the logic flow chart where auto power off feature is turned off, but acts anyway. Auto power of 1 minute is taken as ignore power off. I wonder how many things were tried before guessing auto power off in 1 minute. Will Canon recognize this as a bug and fix it?

iamdez99
Apprentice

I solved the camera turning off issue but now the eos webcam utility is the one disconnecting from the camera but camera remains on... not sure whats going on

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements