cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Webcam Utility is not working on MacBook Pro 2021 (Monterey)

DosDimensional
Contributor

I just got a new MacBook Pro for work, but not able to utilize my Cannon camera as my webcam. It doesn't appear my MacBook is recognizing my camera as a video device. I work remote so being on camera for work meetings is a must. I currently running my Macbook through a KVM triple monitor switch and my MacBook lid is closed. Please help or I'll just need to move away from Cannon devices. Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9

Stephen

Please visit canon.us/livestream for information and FAQs regarding the EOS Webcam Utility Software, including OS and camera compatibility. 

DosDimensional
Contributor

This comment is not helpful. I already know the webcam utility is not compatible with M1 at this time. Please forward this issue to your software engineers. There must be a high demand for this issue to be address soon, I cant be alone. Thanks!

Rainald
Contributor

You will need to use a third party software like Cascable Pro. This saved our streaming production.

Thanks for the suggestion! I tried Cascable Webcam, but didnt work. It installed and I was able to connect my camera and view it on the application, but it was not available as a video device on any other applications. What OS version are you using? I am on Monterey 12.6

Latest version of Monterey. Use it with OBS and also Propresenter.

Update: I was able to get Cascable to work after uninstalling and reinstalling. Thanks again for all the suggestions!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If your camera officially supports “Clean HDMI” output, then I suggest using an HDMI to USB adapter.  Using an external microphone plugged into the camera should eliminate any issues associated with synchronizing audio and video.  

It is not just a Canon problem.  Most major camera manufacturers have similar software issues with their Apple applications.  Apple frequently makes significant changes to the OS and breaking parts of their codebase.  This will often force companies to rewrite their apps multiple times, which means going through the Apple relicensing process all over again each time.  

If you wish to make an engineer’s blood boil say this to one, “It should be easy.”

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks Waddizzle for the recommendation and helping me to temper my expectations on this issue. Unfortunately, neither my EOS Rebel T6 or EOS 6D MK II support a clean HDMI output.

One “Clean HDMI” work around for the 6D2 is to put the camera into video mode, and then press [INFO] a couple of times until all of the icons are cleared.  Turn off AF.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements