cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Webcam Utility for EOS R3

trouden
Contributor

The EOS R3 does not seem to be listed as a supported device using the latest EOS Webcam Utility (V1.1).

Canon EOS Webcam Utility Software

The product's support & start page does not list the webcam utility in the software section either.

cam.start.canon : For customers using the EOS R3

I find it hard to believe Canon's flagship hardware does not support this feature!

EDIT: I have installed the webcam utility and can confirm the R3 does not appear to be supported on the latest camera body firmware v1.1.1. Hopefully Canon can confirm this issue and provide details as to when the R3 will be supported or how to get it working with the current software/firmware.

Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

trouden
Contributor

The R3 can now be used as a webcam over USB using Canon's new EOS Webcam Utility Pro 2.0 (confirmed using firmware 1.3.0). However, the input will be locked at 720p 30fps along with any camera setting adjustments unless you pay a monthly/yearly subscription fee... Why Canon?!? I can understand a one-time cost for the tool, but certainly not a subscription.

Unless you absolutely need the convenience of their new webcam utility, just pick up an external capture card as suggested by Wadizzle.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The Webcam Utility might work with the R3.  When Canon first released the Beta versions of the app, many of the older camera bodies that were not listed as being supported seemed able to work with it.

My observation is that if an older camera body supported video recording and remote shooting, then it could function to some degree with the Webcam Utility.  The issue with some of the unsupported bodies is that they would output video at a lower resolution than officially supported camera bodes.

Try it, and see what happens.  What is the worse that can happen?  It won’t work.  AS long as your computer is compatible with the actual Webcam Utility, I would be surprised if it did not work with the R3.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I appreciate the suggestion Waddizzle. I already had the EOS Webcam Utility installed for a 70D which worked great, so I don't believe my PC has a compatibility issue with the software. I've also tried uninstalling/re-installing the EOS Webcam Utility and I am running the latest camera body firmware v1.1.1.

I traded in the 70D when taking the plunge to the R3 and would love to be able to use the webcam utility again as it really came in handy. The only immediate solution I can think of would be to use a capture card on the HDMI out but I'm hoping that won't be necessary.

Thanks again for the input!

I am surprised to hear the Webcam Utility does not work with the R3.  

You are probably better off using the “Clean HDMI” output and an external microphone, anyway.  The Webcam Utility was released for Beta Testing at the start of the COVID shutdowns back in 2020.  It was aimed at teleconferencing apps like Skype, Teams, Zoom, WebEx, and others.  It wasn’t well suited for Live Streaming to social media because many cameras did not output Full HD video through the USB port.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Clean HDMI out using a video capture device does seem to be the only option at this time which is a shame. I've found the webcam utility to be a great tool, removing the need for extra hardware to achieve a simple video streaming solution. Audio is of course a separate topic and would be handled externally for my use case.

By discussing this issue with the community and showing a continued desire for this feature, I'm hopeful a Canon representative will provide some insight as to when this functionality may be available. Or better yet, if the webcam utility is already available on the R3, how to utilize it.

As I briefly mentioned, I had owned a 70D (that released way back in 2013) which worked flawlessly with the webcam utility. I use this function multiple times a week and now that I don't have the 70D for streaming it is a huge bummer not having access to this feature, especially when jumping to a flagship camera body that really should have it.

Greetings, trouden

I can understand the benefits of using our Canon cameras as webcams since they do provide a better quality image than standard webcams which you've been able to experience with your EOS 70D.

The EOS R3 is currently not supported by the EOS Webcam Utility but I have submitted your feedback to our software engineers for consideration. Consumer demand, technological limitations, and customer feedback are all taken in to consideration.

Thank you JacobT for verifying this!

Given that the entire EOS R lineup of cameras was supported before the R3, I'm hopeful an update will roll out soon.

trouden
Contributor

The R3 can now be used as a webcam over USB using Canon's new EOS Webcam Utility Pro 2.0 (confirmed using firmware 1.3.0). However, the input will be locked at 720p 30fps along with any camera setting adjustments unless you pay a monthly/yearly subscription fee... Why Canon?!? I can understand a one-time cost for the tool, but certainly not a subscription.

Unless you absolutely need the convenience of their new webcam utility, just pick up an external capture card as suggested by Wadizzle.

Announcements