cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Webcam Utility & 600D

dongie
Contributor

Hello,

I'm failing to use my 600D as a webcam with the "EOS Webcam Utility".

It works OK with the standard utility, i can control my camera, record videos on the SD card, no worries.

However when i'm trying to use some other soft that see the virtual webcam "eos webcam utility", it only show the red x usb.

I'm running MAC OS X Catalina.

I've tried several ports, uninstalling and reinstalling, with or without the standard canon utility installed, nothing happens.

The 600d is said to be compatible, idk what I'm doing wrong, can you help ?

11 REPLIES 11

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

This was all I could find for your model and OS.  It has some hints and requirements.  Have you tested with another USB cable?

EOS Webcam Utility 1.0 [macOS] (asia.canon)

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

yea i already thought of that, but couldn't find another usb cable as this is a pretty old standard now.. I ordered one and will update here..

Theres not many things to check.

USB cable or connection

EOS Utility is not running when you try to use the WebCam Utility

Security and Proivacy under System Preferences - Ensure the application is allowed and not being blocked by GateKeeper,

Camera is powered on when connected to the system

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

So I tried a new usb cable : same problem.

EOS Utility is not running when I use webcam utility.

The camera is of course powered on ^^

For Security and privacy : as much as I would like to add webcam utility in my "ok" list, the plugin does not create an app in the app folder so i can't add it..

@dongie wrote:

So I tried a new usb cable : same problem.

EOS Utility is not running when I use webcam utility.

The camera is of course powered on ^^

For Security and privacy : as much as I would like to add webcam utility in my "ok" list, the plugin does not create an app in the app folder so i can't add it..

It does not create an app.  It is a device driver.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

my point exactly. there's nowhere i could find it to add it as allowed program in gatekeeper

@dongie wrote:

my point exactly. there's nowhere i could find it to add it as allowed program in gatekeeper

Do you understand what a "device driver" is?  Does your thumb drive have an app?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Device_driver 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

food4thought
Contributor

If EOS Utility works on your camera, that should indicate that your USB cable is working fine. You should know that you need to exit EOS Utility before using EOS Webcam Utility. Apparently the two software cannot be open at the same time because they both need to talk to the camera over USB.

dongie
Contributor
Yep I already said that in my original post (“with or without the standard canon utility installed” - if not installed it’s obviously not running) and shadowsports already gave this recommandation amongst other earlier.
Thank you anyways. Are you running webcam utility with a 600D on Catalina ?
Announcements