cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(EOS 60D) EOS Utility Menu is Greyed Out

twgibson014
Apprentice

I have a Canon 60D and am new to it.  I’m trying to invoke the EOS Utility but it never appears properly as shown on several YouTube videos.  Instead, I get a greyed out menu like this:

twgibson014_0-1660578967469.png

I have a Toshiba Satellite S855 and use Windows 10.

I’ve tried a number of options.  I installed the version that comes with the camera CD.  That yields the same view shown above.

I uninstall and reinstall the version from Canon’s online site for the EOS 60D.  The only s/w there that looks possibly eligible is “EOS Utility 2.14.20a Updater for Windows.”  QUESTION: Is this download only as an update to the original and I should leave the original installed in order for this updater to work?  It’s not clear.  Anyway, I proceed to download & install it with the original uninstalled.  It shows to be the EOS Utility 2.  When I then go to the list of Canon programs, it show 2 different EOS Utility programs installed, EOS Utility & EOS Utility 2. 

When I double click EOS Utility 2, I get the same greyed out view shown above.

When I double click EOS Utility, I get the following:

twgibson014_1-1660578967470.png

When I click “Pairing over Wi-Fi/LAN, I get:

twgibson014_2-1660578967471.png

From there, all I can do is close out.  I thought maybe it would pair over LAN since I had the HDMI cable hooked up to the camera and the camera turned on.  No such luck.

Can someone please resolve my dilemma?  I’d like to use the EOS Utility on my laptop.  Thank you.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Disconnect the HDMI cable.  You only want to be connected with a USB data cable. Not a charging cable like they sell at a gas station.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

NatalyaP
Product Expert
Product Expert

Greetings twgibson014,

Let's first check to see if the issue may be related to the type of connection you're using. The EOS Utility 2 software application will communicate with the camera through a USB cable. An HDMI cable cannot be used. Please also test different USB ports of the laptop along with testing a different USB cable if you have already tried using one USB cable.

For downloading the EOS Utility 2 software application, Canon develops the same software which is compatible across many of our EOS cameras. You may click on the following link to visit the product download page for the EOS Rebel T7i.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/eos-dslr-and-mirrorless-ca...

When downloading and installing the software, it will show that it is for EOS Utility 3 but a full version of EOS Utility 2 is included to use with your EOS 60D camera. The camera will not function with EOS Utility 3. On the list of available software to download, please download EOS Utility 3.13.20. Please do not download version 3.14.10 or newer since these do not include EOS Utility 2.

Please note that EOS Utility 2 is software that Canon has stopped updating and no longer supports on newer operating systems. We’re unable to guarantee if it will install and run on your computer.

Waddizzle,

Ok, I'll use the USB cable.  I sure thought I saw on YouTube several people using HDMI with the adapter to HCMI Mini.  Anyway, lesson learned.  Thx.

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Disconnect the HDMI cable.  You only want to be connected with a USB data cable. Not a charging cable like they sell at a gas station.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle,

Ok, I'll use the USB cable.  I sure thought I saw on YouTube several people using HDMI with the adapter to HCMI Mini.  Anyway, lesson learned.  Thx.

NatalyaP
Product Expert
Product Expert

Greetings twgibson014,

Let's first check to see if the issue may be related to the type of connection you're using. The EOS Utility 2 software application will communicate with the camera through a USB cable. An HDMI cable cannot be used. Please also test different USB ports of the laptop along with testing a different USB cable if you have already tried using one USB cable.

For downloading the EOS Utility 2 software application, Canon develops the same software which is compatible across many of our EOS cameras. You may click on the following link to visit the product download page for the EOS Rebel T7i.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/eos-dslr-and-mirrorless-ca...

When downloading and installing the software, it will show that it is for EOS Utility 3 but a full version of EOS Utility 2 is included to use with your EOS 60D camera. The camera will not function with EOS Utility 3. On the list of available software to download, please download EOS Utility 3.13.20. Please do not download version 3.14.10 or newer since these do not include EOS Utility 2.

Please note that EOS Utility 2 is software that Canon has stopped updating and no longer supports on newer operating systems. We’re unable to guarantee if it will install and run on your computer.

Announcements