cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP4 version 4.9.20 Hangs Frequently Becomes Unusable

Terry54321
Contributor

I updated to DPP version 4.9.20 on a Windows 10 PC with 32 GB Ram and found that after several minutes of use DPP would pause or hang for a couple of seconds and the Windows spinning circle warning would display. This pausing would happen repeatedly every couple of seconds making DPP almost unusable. The Windows Resource Monitor showed that the amount of memory under Working Set increases from around 977,000 KB to around1,500,000 KB for DPP4 as DPP goes from no problem to repeated pausing. I uninstalled DPP 4.9.20, rebooted and reinstalled the old version DPP4, 4.6.30 but still had the same problem with the constant pausing and increasing use of memory even though this version worked without a problem on this computer. Canon's technical support had not heard of the problem and was of no help. Has anyone else expericenced this problem and come up with a solution?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I think I have really solved the problem with Canon Digital Photo Professional 4 giving the spinning wheel wait symbol and pausing constantly. I did a drive cleanup on the C: drive and on the drive I have my RAW files on to get rid of all temporary files, etc. I was thinking maybe when I installed the updated DPP 4 that it may not have cleaned up all of its temporary files, or a temporary file got corrupted etc. So tonight I have been able to work with DPP for 4 hours without any spinning wheel wait symbols and pauses. 

View solution in original post

34 REPLIES 34

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

I remember a memory leak problem with an earlier version of DPP 4 but 4.9.2 seems OK.  I have had it running since this morning and it is currently sitting at just under 900 MB on the resource monitor.  Applying significant processing (noise reduction or lens aberration correction) pushes it to around 2.5 GB memory usage with RAW files from my 1DX 2 but then it quickly drops back to the ~900 MB range.  I am using a dual processor system with 128 GB per processor and although DPP processing is fast (usually under 6 seconds to finish adjustments) it only shows a few very brief spikes in processor utilization in the 30-35% range while normally staying under 10% while the processing is underway so it does seem like it could be faster if it fully utilized available resources.

How much total memory do you have free?  Although Windows should be making only very minimal usage of virtual memory unless you are running fairly low on system resources this is an area that can lead to pauses.  Windows does some odd memory management and in some cases you will find better performance by setting a static virtual memory size under windows performance settings (use the same size for minimum and maximum).  

When you have the spinning "wait" symbol take a look in task manager to see what processes are grabbing CPU time and disk utilization and this may provide a clue to where the problem lies.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

This tower PC has 32 GB of RAM and about 27 GB free when DPP4 is running. I have a laptop with only 16 GB of RAM and it runs DPP4.9.20 just fine. The tower PC ran the previous version of DPP4 just fine but something happened after I installed DPP4.9.20 to the tower PC that is causing the problem. I restored the tower PC to a time just before I installed DPP4.9.20 and now the older version of DPP4.6.30 is having the pausing problem. So maybe something just before installing DPP4.9.20 happened or got changed on the tower PC that is causing this problem. Other programs do not seem to be affected by this problem with the tower PC. 

@Terry54321 wrote:

I updated to DPP version 4.9.20 on a Windows 10 PC with 32 GB Ram and found that after several minutes of use DPP would pause or hang for a couple of seconds and the Windows spinning circle warning would display. This pausing would happen repeatedly every couple of seconds making DPP almost unusable. The Windows Resource Monitor showed that the amount of memory under Working Set increases from around 977,000 KB to around1,500,000 KB for DPP4 as DPP goes from no problem to repeated pausing. I uninstalled DPP 4.9.20, rebooted and reinstalled the old version DPP4, 4.6.30 but still had the same problem with the constant pausing and increasing use of memory even though this version worked without a problem on this computer. Canon's technical support had not heard of the problem and was of no help. Has anyone else expericenced this problem and come up with a solution?

This problem has been around for as long as DPP 4 has, but early versions were so buggy anyway that it wasn't as noticeable. If Canon Technical Support hasn't heard of the problem, they must not have been listening, because it has been mentioned over and over in this forum. It's too bad, because it reduces what should be a worthy competitor of Lightroom to a distant also-ran.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Version  Dpp4.6.20 used to work on this Windows 10 PC. Is there any way to fix the problem?

Terry,

The fix may very well come from Microsoft in one of their frequent patches.  With the current MS mentality if it is fixed it will probably be by accident while they are tweaking something else. Sometimes the best bet is to do a proper backup and then reinstall the complete operating system again via a new download; the multitude of patches over time coupled with the very wide variety of hardware used for different PCs often results in problems that are addressed by doing a fresh install.

About 6 months ago one of the Win 10 updates "broke" the settings I use to connect my 1DX and 1DX 2 to my PC via ethernet for file transfer and I was having to run the Canon setup "wizard" every time to establish communications.  I spent around 30 minutes doing another manual setup and once again it works fine until MS starts to break stuff again.  My laptop and tablet now both run Linux after too many Win 10 hassles and the HP workstation I have came from HP set up for dual boot with Red Hat Linux and Win 10.  IF all of the programs I needed would run under Linux I would move completely away from Win 10 because it is THAT BAD.  MS has developed the same controlling attitude long associated with Apple but they don't have the closed hardware system or the overall ability to provide a smooth operating system anymore and both of these attributes are needed to make a highly controlling operating system that is acceptable to customers.  I spend more time every month dealing with Win 10 annoyances than I did in the entire 5+ years I was running several XP systems.  

I believe Corel currently markets the only professional photo package designed to run as a native app under Linux and I wasn't really happy with it when I tried it earlier so I will continue with Windows and primarily DPP for now.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

I think I have solved the problem. I opened DPP4  with run as administrator and now I don't get the constant spinning wheel Windows 10 wait symbol appearing every few seconds. Apparently DPP4 was trying to do something that was being blocked maybe by Windows Defender Antivirus or a fire wall setting that requires it to be run as administrator.

I spoke too soon. after 4 hours of being open DPP4 started displaying the spinning circle wait symbol every few seconds again, so problem not solved.

I think I have really solved the problem with Canon Digital Photo Professional 4 giving the spinning wheel wait symbol and pausing constantly. I did a drive cleanup on the C: drive and on the drive I have my RAW files on to get rid of all temporary files, etc. I was thinking maybe when I installed the updated DPP 4 that it may not have cleaned up all of its temporary files, or a temporary file got corrupted etc. So tonight I have been able to work with DPP for 4 hours without any spinning wheel wait symbols and pauses. 

@Terry54321 wrote:

The problem is that what you did shouldn't be necessary. DPP shouldn't be paying any attention to those files.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements