cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert black and white photos to colour

Naynay
Apprentice

I’ve take some photos in black and white buy accident but would really like them in colour. Is there any way to get it back to colour?  Don’t have access to a Mac or pc. Only iPad? 

12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you shoot in JPEG or RAW?

Pretty sure it was in raw

Anonymous
Not applicable

If in RAW, you should be able to use Canon's free DDP (Digital Photo Professional) software or most photo editing programs to edit the files to regain the color. If you shot in JEPG, there isn't any way to regain the color.

Tried that but my ipad doesn’t correspond with the software it can run on. 

DPP is not available to run on an iPad.  The OP doesn't have access to a Mac or PC.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Just gone on to canon DDP and it doesn’t support my canon, feel like there might not be a way around this 

@Naynay wrote:

Just gone on to canon  DDP and it doesn’t support my canon, feel like there might not be a way around this 

Sorry. It was a long shot anyway 😞

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

If you did shoot Raw, you can try Canon DPP Express. It's in the Apple App Store for download to iPad or iPhone. I've never used it, so I'm not sure if it will remove the B/W filter, but it's worth a try IMHO.

Canon DPP Express for iPadCanon DPP Express for iPad

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

I you captured the images in RAW, you'd have the original color images without an effects applied.  If you captured only in JPEG though, you're out-of-luck.  The only thing you could do is attempt to hand-color the photos in post-processing which would probably not be worth the effort, unless of course these were once-in-a-lifetime images.

For the latter, you can explore different techniques in Adobe Photoshop.  There's a version of that app for iPads (though it may require newer iPad models).

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
Announcements