cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R5 Issues/Feature Requests

laitm
Contributor
My hope is that someone on here (from Canon) can explain to me why on a camera (R5) costing in excess of £3.5K you cannot manually change the ISO back to Auto mode unless you either wait for the meter to timeout or try some menu hack to reset the meter. 

To clarify: Camera (R5) in manual mode with Auto ISO enabled.

I look forward to your response. 
24 REPLIES 24

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Sorry to hear you are experiencing issues.

The behavior you describe is consistent with the use of a custom programming mode, which was derived from the Manual shooting mode.  Your top display should look similar to this for your desired mode of operation.

DE580936-7135-407A-B06B-272B2A8464AA.jpeg

Notice the letter “M” in the upper left corner.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I think what you are seeing is normal behavior for when ISO Auto is set in M mode.

[EDIT] This is a user forum.  This is not the proper venue to contact Canon with camera issues.

Before you press a button to start the automatic metering system you will see “AUTO” as the ISO reading.  Once the metering system starts, it will determine an ISO value, which will change “AUTO” to an actual ISO value.  For argument’s sake, suppose it displays “400”.

This ISO value will remain at “400” until the metering system goes idle again, at which time ISO will revert to “AUTO” again.  You cannot change the calculated ISO value because the camera is controlling the ISO value.

In other words, there is probably nothing wrong with your camera.  ISO “AUTO” is the setting the entire time.  You will see this same behavior in Tv and Av modes, too.  The ISO will be displayed as “AUTO” until the metering system is triggered.

One way to alter the ISO value the camera calculates when shooting in M mode with ISO set to AUTO is to use Exposure Compensation.  I set it up on my DSLRs by configuring the [SET] button in Custom Controls to be Exposure Compensation.  Press and hold [SET] while turning the Main Wheel will change Exposure Compensation.

Thanks but I didn't really ask for another way to alter the ISO value. My question is WHY does the camera behave in this manner. 

See video link for clarity of the issue. 

https://www.facebook.com/100063683860930/videos/5925896504110735

I thought I just explained why the camera behaves that way.  Your complaint seemed to be that you could not change the ISO value.  You cannot change it because the camera is controlling the ISO value.

Try switching to Av with ISO set to AUTO.  Before you press the shutter to start automatic metering, the Tv value is blank and ISO says AUTO.  Start the metering by pressing the shutter and try to change Tv.   

Do the same in Tv mode and try to change the Av setting.  You can’t change it because the camera is controlling the setting.

Did you notice how the ISO display changed during these experiments?  Instead ISO of blanking itself when metering is idle, it displays as AUTO.

I'll re-phrase the question. Is not being able to override the ISO value when the meter is active specific to Canon ? I also own Nikon, and Fuji cameras and in manual mode you can override the meter at any time by changing from AUTO to a FIXED value. 

I'm not sure what specifically you mean by 'when the meter is active'.   I have many Canon camera models and if I have metered a subject, I can select to go to and from auto ISO interactively.  To confirm my opinion, I tested 3 cameras, looking through both the viewfinder and using the LCD at the back, and had no issue. 

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Can you access this video link on Facebook ?

https://www.facebook.com/100063683860930/videos/5925896504110735

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements