cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS Webcam Issue

pvb2112
Contributor

I have been using the EOS Webcam Utility since the Beta release. Currently I have the latest release installed for Windows 10 that supports the Canon T6i. The camera is powered with an AC adapter so there is no issue with the battery discharging.

The issue I have is that when I use it for a Zoom video conference I must manually turn the camera on when I open Zoom. This is even when the camera is in the on position.

For example I will have the camera on, get lighting set and then open the Zoom conference. If there is any appreciable lag time, I will need to turn the camera off then turn it on to get it to engage. THIS IS ANNOYING!

Any other webcam will come on once the video conference application is opened whether it is Zoom, MS Teams, Google Meet or Skype.

Is there a fix for this?

Thanks,

Peter

4 REPLIES 4

Lilly69
Apprentice

@pvb2112 wrote: www.mcdvoice.com

I have been using the EOS Webcam Utility since the Beta release. Currently I have the latest release installed for Windows 10 that supports the Canon T6i. The camera is powered with an AC adapter so there is no issue with the battery discharging.

The issue I have is that when I use it for a Zoom video conference I must manually turn the camera on when I open Zoom. This is even when the camera is in the on position.

For example I will have the camera on, get lighting set and then open the Zoom conference. If there is any appreciable lag time, I will need to turn the camera off then turn it on to get it to engage. THIS IS ANNOYING!

Any other webcam will come on once the video conference application is opened whether it is Zoom, MS Teams, Google Meet or Skype.

Is there a fix for this?

Thanks,

Peter

Your Canon DSLR camera can only communicate with one software at a time. If you’ve both ‘EOS Utility’ and ‘EOS Webcam Utility’ running at the same time on your PC, the webcam utility won’t show your camera feed in the video conferencing app.

I am only running the EOS Webcam Utility. All other Canon software is idle.  I can have the camera on and open Zoom or OBS and it will show the splash screen. Example below. The camera has been on for a while, I opened OBS and no video. If I go to the camera and turn it off then back on, the video is engaged.

pvb2112_0-1649443205912.png

is your issue with OBS or Zoom?  Or both?

You say that everything worked with the Beta version.  Did it ever work for you with any of the final Release version(s)?

What brand of PC are you using?  Do you have an Intel chipset?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

pvb2112
Contributor

@Waddizzle,

No the same issue existed with Beta as it does with the post-beta current version. The camera works fine on Zoom, OBS, Teams and Google meet but it switches off between uses.

So for example, I have my Canon T6i on and it is powered with the AC adapter. I will then fire up Zoom and start a meeting. The camera will "click" and the shutter will open and begin showing the video just fine.

If however the camera has been on for any length of time BEFORE I open Zoom the camera will not engage automatically but will show the above EOS Webcam Utility screen.  I have not yet documented with a stopwatch how long this but it does seem to be timing out if it has been idle for about 10 minutes. This means that I then have to turn the camera off and then turn it back on. If I have several Zoom meetings but there is an interval between them of say 10 to 15 minutes or more, I must do the turn-off then turn-on drill each time to engage the camera. This is unlike any standard webcam that is always on when you open up a video conference application where  it is automatically live without having to manually turn it off then on each time.

So in summary, the camera has to be turned on at approximately the same time the video conference application is engaged within a 5-10 minute window. After the video conference is ended, the camera will go to sleep and need to be toggled off and on again to use it for the next video session.

I am wondering if there is a fix for this.

Thanks for the help!

Announcements