cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Camera Connect Suggestion

AaronD
Enthusiast

I have read lots of posts about how to get Canon Connect to work, and yes I can get it to work--but when I really need it to work, like out on an assignment for a client, the connection is dropped and I find myself standing there staring at an iPad flipping through screens and waiting and flipping through more screens.  All this to say:

Why can't Canon make a remote app for iPad that connects instantly and reliably BY CABLE instead of flakey wifi?

And yes specifically iPad, not laptop.  The EOS Utility (I think that's what it's called) works great by cable connection, but a laptop in the field is an impossible hassle because I can't use a mouse.  A tiny track pad just doesn't work.

Final note:  I'm a photographer, not an IT department.

Just because I don't pose with a camera to my eye doesn't mean I'm not a dork.
13 REPLIES 13

Aren't there Windows-based tablets on which you could run EOS Utility?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Might be, but if I got one It'd be the only Windows anything I own.  Andd I'd be buying it for one non-essential purpose.  

I'd rather Canon add that functionality to their app.  So far I can live without Canon Connect, so I do.

How old is your iPad?  I believe that functionality is available in the more recent or latest models.  

[EDIT] only available on iPad Pro tablets?  i think?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

It's really new, an iPad pro.  This will be embarrssing to have posted an unnessessary rant....  I'll plug it in and see!

@AaronD wrote:

It's really new, an iPad pro.  This will be embarrssing to have posted an unnessessary rant....  I'll plug it in and see!

I am not iPad expert.  I think the iPad Pro introduced a different type of internal file storage, which is not available on previous models.  I think the change is that Photos can now read items saved in Files?

Yeah that much is true, which is a giant leap forward.  It allows me to avoid Photos altogether.   Photos can't read CR3 files and hides images away so I can't get to them.  

@AaronD wrote:

Which camera?  It works best with models that have both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.  Bluetooth automates setting up the Wi-Fi because it exchanges all of the necessary data for you.  After setup Bluetooth is not needed for Wi-Fi, anymore.

@AaronD wrote:

Might be, but if I got one It'd be the only Windows anything I own.  Andd I'd be buying it for one non-essential purpose.  

I'd rather Canon add that functionality to their app.  So far I can live without Canon Connect, so I do.

I guess I misunderstood. You mentioned "a client", so I assumed that the purpose was essential.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Not essential, because my work around is to just not use the app.  It would be nice.

Announcements