cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Connect app GPS update rate?

vantage
Contributor

Hi All,

Does anyone know the Canon Connect app GPS update rate? In other words, how often does it update the camera with the location your shooting from? I'm already aware that general GPS receivers update position once/second. I recently did a walking tour in wide open spaces ( so no obstructions), took 14 photos in different locations and the location of all the photographs was exactly the same.

Camera: R5 running firmware version 2.0.0 

R5 showed Bluetooth and GPS active

Canon Connect app version 3.2.0.20, build 1391,app shows Status: Sending location info to camera, GPS via mobile: Available, Location information: Can be used

TIA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

vantage
Contributor

I figured it out. The Canon Connect app gets its location from IOS. If the Iphone auto-locks or you manually lock it, IOS stops determining the phone's location and Canon Connect always uses the last location of the phone when the phone locked. To keep IOS updating the phone's location, go to 

Settings->Display & Brightness->Auto-Lock and set it to "Never." 

After this do *NOT* manually lock the phone. This keeps IOS updating the phone's location which will keep the location that Camera Connect is using current.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

It is adjustable:

Untitled1.jpg

You can set it on some cameras:

Untitled.jpg

I use a Garmin Foretrex to create GPS logs and use HoudahGeo to add the location data in post.

Sorry kvbarkely. I meant the Canon Connect GPS app. I've edited the original post.

Are you on Android or iOS? 

vantage
Contributor

IOS

I just did a little experiment and found that after a few minutes (maybe five, I didn't time it) the Bluetooth connection between the phone and the camera was no longer active. Couldn't tell if the phone or camera terminated it.

vantage
Contributor

Does anyone know the Canon Connect app GPS update rate? In other words, how often does it update the camera with the location your shooting from? 

TIA

Hey there! If you need immediate help, you'll want to contact support directly at 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666).

vantage
Contributor

I figured it out. The Canon Connect app gets its location from IOS. If the Iphone auto-locks or you manually lock it, IOS stops determining the phone's location and Canon Connect always uses the last location of the phone when the phone locked. To keep IOS updating the phone's location, go to 

After this do *NOT* manually lock the phone. This keeps IOS updating the phone's location which will keep the location that Camera Connect is using current.

@vantage wrote:

Did you try setting Location Services->Camera Connect to "Always" in the Privacy & Security section? That works for me w/o keeping phone full on all the time.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic
Announcements