cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot download newest version of User Guide for DPP4

aajax
Enthusiast

When trying to download the Instruction Manual for DPP4 (possibly other files as well) I get taken to this splash rather than download.  I've tried this on various browsers to include Mozilla Firefox and Microsoft Edge with the same results.

To the extent it might be helpful I find my way to the URL that follows:

https://cam.start.canon/en/S002/

When the "Download" button is pressed the result is to re-display the following:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support

11 REPLIES 11

jrhoffman75
Legend

All of the latest versions of Canon manuals are now web-based. They do not have downloadable PDF versions.

The latest version in PDF format is 4.15. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

When I go to the Canon Website it allows me to select it (Instruction Manual) then displays a single button that says "Download".  When that button is selected the referenced splash page gets displayed. If there is supposed to be some way to proceed to find an Instruction Manual it is very effectively hidden.

BTW, how does Canon expect users to know anything about online version (of Instruction Manuals) when DPP4 itself provides NO link (at least that I've been able to find) or for that matter any mention of such?

Pretty well every camera and other electronics manufacturer has had their manuals on line for about the last two decades - it is more reliable to provide the latest versions of software and documentation.  It's called Software as a Service and is a standard industry practice.

As to the page you end up on there are two choices:
[Instruction Manual] and [Download].  Choose [Instruction Manual] and it will take you to an on-line version of the manual that you can browse - and copy a link to your desktop if you so choose. 

With [Download] Canon is trying to establish what camera model you are using - they only provide the software to people who have Canon cameras.

cheers, TREVOR

Professional photographer, engineer and educator since 1980

"All the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
"A good swordsman is more important than a good sword" Amit Kalantri
Technique will always Outlast Tech - Me

There is nothing wrong with offering documentation online.  However, there are situations where a pdf file is superior.  For example, it can be printed (either completely or partially).  Old fashion folks like me do prefer hard copy for some things.  With that said I haven't printed the whole manual either for DPP or my cameras but rather select sections.  A big problem with online (i.e., html) is that search is practically useless.  I've also noticed that most browsers now support display of pdf files.  In that, the same thing that works offline also works online but, of the several browsers I use, none seems to support search very well.  However, it is very simple to download from the online view and then use all manner of software that support pdf format to view/search the resulting file.

When it comes to Canon, part of the problem is how cumbersome it is to find manuals.  One would think that when it comes to software, such as DPP4, something as simple as having a link on the Menu>Help item would go a long way toward solving that problem but for some reason DPP4 contains nothing I've been able to find that even mentions their Instruction Manual.  Lots of vendors have been doing that for quite a long time also.  It even limits that type of access to those who actually have the software should that be desired.  However, my thinking favors the idea that vendors like Canon have no reason to get in the way of people who want to learn about their products.

It very much looks to me like Canon is behind the times rather than ahead but thanks to help provided herein I have been able to find the manuals I want.

The PDF files are available when you go to the support page for your specific camera product, for example, the EOS R6 HERE.

You can find all the software and documents for your specific product within your My Canon Account at canon.us/account

I hope this helps! 

@Stephen wrote:

The PDF files are available when you go to the support page for your specific camera product, for example, the EOS R6 HERE.

That is the site I've been using and the source of the issues mentioned above.

@Stephen wrote:

You can find all the software and documents for your specific product within your My Canon Account at canon.us/account

The URL I've been using is "usa.canon.com" which is also the same domain as used by the above linked titled "HERE".  While the "canon.us/account" link takes me to what appears like a different site the same username/password used to access "usa.canon.com" works there.  Likewise my registered products show up so it appears to be related.

Anyway, while "canon.us/account" is new to me I'll try it out and see how it compares to what I've been using.  However, at present, it does NOT appear to change anything discussed herein.

@aajax wrote:

It very much looks to me like Canon is behind the times rather than ahead but thanks to help provided herein I have been able to find the manuals I want.

I also recently ran into this as I decided to give DPP a fresh try. I didn't know that Canon removed the PDF format for the DPP user guide. And I agree with you. PDFs are a lot easier to deal with, rather than having to continually click on arrows to go from page to page online. 

By the way, of the big three, Canon is the only one that doesn't provide a PDF format for the user guide. Sony and Nikon still use PDFs and it is much more convenient and less cumbersome to navigate. The PDFs are readily available on their respective sites. Sony's Capture One Express and Nikon's NX-D software user guides are available for PDF download. Removing the PDF format for DPP was a bad decision on Canon's part. 

Tronhard
Authority

Did you try simply doing a Google search for DPP4 user manual PDF.  I did and in about 6 seconds came to this entry:

DPP4.5 USER MANUAL PDF   admittedly, it's the Aussie version, and as a Kiwi I find that slightly challenging, but it's the same manual and should solve your issue.  BTW, getting downloads from the Canon Aussie site for almost anything, including old cameras, is a breeze.

cheers, TREVOR

Professional photographer, engineer and educator since 1980

"All the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
"A good swordsman is more important than a good sword" Amit Kalantri
Technique will always Outlast Tech - Me

@Tronhard wrote:

Did you try simply doing a Google search for DPP4 user manual PDF.  I did and in about 6 seconds came to this entry:

DPP4.5 USER MANUAL PDF   admittedly, it's the Aussie version, and as a Kiwi I find that slightly challenging, but it's the same manual and should solve your issue.  BTW, getting downloads from the Canon Aussie site for almost anything, including old cameras, is a breeze.

That is the 4.15 version, which is not the latest; 4.16 is the latest.

All of the latest versions of Canon software manuals are now cloud-based. However, I don't have the problem dealing with that as the OP seems to. It is very easy to put a link to the web-based manual on the desktop. If I am using software I am working at my desk. It is a quick click to get the manual and it is always the latest version.

The camera manuals are web-based but they are also downloadable as a PDF which can be put on a phone or tablet.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements

08/09/2022: New firmware version 1.2.0 is available for CR-N 300
08/09/2022: New firmware version 1.2.0 is available for CR-N 500
07/28/2022: New firmware version 1.2.1 is available for EOS-R3
07/21/2022: New firmware version 1.6.0 is available for EOS-R5
07/21/2022: New firmware version 1.6.0 is available for EOS-R6
07/21/2022: New firmware version 1.1.0 is available for EOS-R7
07/21/2022: New firmware version 1.1.0 is available for EOS-R10
07/14/2022: New firmware version 1.0.1 is available for CR-X300
07/01/2022: New firmware version 1.3.0 is available for PowerShot PICK
06/30/2022: Service Notice: EOS 70D: Error 70 or Error 80
06/10/2022: Service Notice:UPDATE: Canon Inkjet Printer continuous reboot loop or powering down
06/07/2022: New firmware version 1.3.2 is available for PowerShot G7 X Mark III
06/07/2022: New firmware version 1.0.3 is available for EOS M50 Mark II
05/31/2022: Did someone SAY Badges?
05/26/2022: New firmware version 1.0.5.1 is available for EOS-C500 Mark II
05/26/2022: New firmware version 1.0.3.1 is available for EOS-C300 Mark III
05/10/2022: Keep your Canon gear in optimal condition with a Canon Maintenance Service
05/05/2022: We are excited to announce that we have refreshed the ranking scale within the community!
04/26/2022: New firmware version 1.0.1.1 is available for EOS R5 C
03/23/2022: New firmware version 1.0.3.1 is available for EOS-C70
02/09/2022: Share Your Photos is back!
02/07/2022: New firmware version 1.6.1 is available for EOS-1DX Mark III
01/19/2022: READY FOR ANYTHING EOS-R5 C
01/13/2022: Community Update. We will be retiring the legacy profile avatars on 01/20/2022. Click this link to read more.
01/05/2022: Welcome to CES 2022!
12/7/2021: New firmware version 1.3.0 is available for Mount Adapter EF-EOS R 0.71x