cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All my Canon software runs sluggish

Pontus54
Contributor

All the software I've downloaded when I bought my M50 Mark II runs very slowly, it takes about 10 second for every click to register and move to the next screen. This goes for both the setups and the application themselves.

Can't help but feeling that the User Interface looks a bit like they used to look in the 1990s, although of course this could be unrelated.

sluggish01.jpg

Anyone else experienced this?

I read in another thread that some Canon software don't play nicely with anything else than Intel, so I better confess that I'm running Windows 10 on AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Six-Core Processor 3.60 GHz.

8 REPLIES 8

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi again:

Nope, no issues with speed on my computer.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

All of the Canon apps?  The only apps where using an AMD chipset might be an issue is with using the EOS Utility to connect to a camera on a USB port.  Everything else should run fine.

There have been issues with the AMD USB ports, particularly on home brewed platforms. 

Some users have used a powered USB port expander, and all of the issues went away.  It is recommended that you use an NVidia graphics card with the DPP4 application.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

As far as I remember, the only app that isn't painfully slow is Digital Photo Professional 4 which seems to run OK, but I might have forgotten some, been running so many Canon apps the last couple of days.

My Nvidia Control Panel informs me that the Graphics Card is GeForce GTX 1050.

No USB-ports have been involved in this.

The last example is this. Following your suggestion, I successfully connected the camera to my phone, a Google Pixel XL (1st generation). I then tried to do the same with the computer, but when starting the app on the computer side EOS Utility, that in turn launched quite a complicated interface to handle the remote shooting, it was so slow it just wasn't workable.

In a setup app, you just wait until the next choice comes up, you don't get lost, but in this interface with so many things to choose from you needed to click around a bit to get familiar with it. As the interface didn't really react to anything, I was forced to terminate it, which was only possible going to the task manger.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@Pontus54 wrote:

All the software I've downloaded when I bought my M50 Mark II runs very slowly, it takes about 10 second for every click to register and move to the next screen. This goes for both the setups and the application themselves.

Can't help but feeling that the User Interface looks a bit like they used to look in the 1990s, although of course this could be unrelated.

sluggish01.jpg

Anyone else experienced this?

I read in another thread that some Canon software don't play nicely with anything else than Intel, so I better confess that I'm running Windows 10 on AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Six-Core Processor 3.60 GHz.

What you posted is the installer screen. It would have no effect on how the installed software runs.

I have a W10 machine with NVidia GTX 1050Ti GPU. No problem running any of the Canon software tools for printers or cameras.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Yes, thank you, I know it's an installer screen, the thing is that every Canon installer acts the same way as the app it has installed, except for Digital Photo Professional 4. The reason I included a screen grab from the installer is that I wrote about how it looked like it was from the 1990s.

In a mail from the forum, I was asked if the answers had solved my question in this thread. No, it hasn't, but I did set up my old laptop and installed the software there and this time without the sluggish action.

So I can't say that it's been resolved, but if a moderator wants to do that, it's OK with me.

Haven't been lucky with the software on the laptop either, but that's a subject for another thread.

@Pontus54 wrote:

In a mail from the forum, I was asked if the answers had solved my question in this thread. No, it hasn't, but I did set up my old laptop and installed the software there and this time without the sluggish action.

So I can't say that it's been resolved, but if a moderator wants to do that, it's OK with me.

Haven't been lucky with the software on the laptop either, but that's a subject for another thread.

Sounds like it is a computer related issue. Things that can affect computer speed are anti-virus software products. I, and others report that they have no speed problems. I also have a W10 machine with Nvidia GTX 1050 (I have Ti version w/4GB RAM). 

Something else to try is download the free CCleaner app and run a registry cleaner. I know that many Windows gurus swear that registry cleaners are not needed, but I had an issue with DPP4 that was remedied via that route, and I just recommended that same action to someone on the forum today and they reported back that it solved their problem.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I agree with John on this.  It sounds like a computer-related issue. Some systems with different configurations run software to different levels of efficiency, and on the two there lies the operating system - which itself can cause issues as an interface between the hardware and apps.

The software has proven to work reliably on a lot of computers, so I would personally not blame that, and the fact that the install start-up screen looks a tad dated is, frankly, irrelevant.  The installer is just a doorway to the actual software itself.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements