cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF 600 or 800mm f/11 tripod collar (the lack of...)

JoeySnaps
Enthusiast

I have the rather wonderful RF 800mm f/ll lens and have been perplexed by its tripod foot - which doesn't rotate. Most long lenses come with a tripod collar that rotates, so you can switch from landscape to portrait easily while on a tripod, for instance on a gimbal head. My 800mm lens is ideally suited to use on a gimbal head, except that you can't turn it to portrait layout.

I discovered on Ebay a Chinese manufactured item that gives the lens an ARCA compatible foot, and also an extension off to the side which gives it a vertically oriented second ARCA foot.

1.JPG

You have to release the lens from its ARCA shoe on the gimbal and then re-mount it on its vertical foot, but it works. It's nicely milled, not as cheap as some third party items. And it gets around the lens' lack of collar.

[Commercial link removed per forum guidelines and replaced with screenshot to act as visual aid.]

R6mkII, various lenses, speedlites. Also legacy Canons going back to T90 and even A1.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

I've seen posts from others on youtube about this.  They as you did, either made something themselves or found an alternative.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

I've seen posts from others on youtube about this.  They as you did, either made something themselves or found an alternative.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

1EagleDave
Contributor

when will there be a collar for the rf800mm the screw plate just does not hold period always works itself loose come on canon you can do better then this?? your turn we buy your products all of our lives and shorthanded almost everything now from this crap little boxed screw with it and the r7 no battery grip really????

pissed off to say the least here

(edited to remove all caps per forum guidelines)

Canon is not here, to have your voice heard, send feedback. Go to the front page of the Canon USA site, and click on the little feedback '+'

Feedback.jpg

Announcements