cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd color lens filter

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

First, I wish I had known about the community over four years ago. Things might be better. OK, I purchased a kit that included several items that I have used over the years. However, one puzzles me. There was a lens filter that is a "purple" color. Haven't a clue what it is used for. Thanks for your replies.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
9 REPLIES 9

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

I think it would have the effect of subtracting that color? I haven't used any color filters on my lenses, just clear (protection), ND (neutral density) and CP (circular polarizer).

However, I have used different gels on my speedlites; some for color correction such as CTO (color temperature orange), or for creative effects.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I recommend Syl Arena's Late Great Speedlighter's handbook here: Gelling for effect.

Yep, Syl's book got me hooked on speedlites and gels!

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Thanks to all. I'll see about getting Syl Arena's book/manual.

Ricky, your list of filters reminds me to take inventory of what I have, see what I need and ask for some $$$ for my birthday in two months. Thanks, again.

John

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Found several sources for Syl's book!

John

amfoto1
Authority

Is it actually a purple colored filter... or is it clear or gray with some purplish reflections? Some filters are "multi-coated" and in some cases those coatings have a purplish tint to them.

There is probably some writing on the rim of the filter... exactly what is written there? We might be able to give you a more precise answer with this info.

A wide variety of colored filters were used with film. Some were for color correction or conversion, others were specifically for black and white film.

Today with digital (and I'm assuming you are using a digital camera), there simply isn't much need for filters. We can set the white balance of our digital cameras to match many different lighting conditions. That can be further adjusted in post-processing on our computers. Some other filter special effects can be added pretty easily in post-processing.

A "circular polarizing" filter is by far the most useful type of filter with digital. It can do some things that can't be done in-camera and are difficult or impossible to do in post-processing. It's fairly common for "circular polarizer" to be abbreviated as "C-Pol", "CPL", or even "CP". It's well worth learning how and when to use a CPL (and when NOT to use one).

To me both ND (neutral density) and "protection" (clear, UV, Sky, etc.) are specialized filters. They both can serve functions, but are needed far less often than a CPL.

Yeah, some people like to keep a protection filter on their lens all the time. Personally I think it's pretty silly to think that a thin piece of glass will provide much protection... My lens caps and lens hoods do a better job of protection (and are still needed to protect the filter 🙄).

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2) some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & ZENFOLIO 

It has: Commander Optics  FLD  filter 58mm. Like looking through a glass of grape juice.

Here is what I found: https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=fld+filter+canon

John

Okay, that's a color conversion filter for film. "FL" stands for fluorescent and "D" stands for daylight.

FLD are used under common fluorescent light when shooting daylight balance film. Without the filter, the film would have a strong green tint. The magenta color of the filter counteracts that.

There is no need for a filter like that if shooting digital. Instead set a Custom White Balance under the lighting and that will render correct images.

Note: Fluorescent lighting also causes exposure problems, but many Canon cameras have an Anti-Flicker feature that's a great solution.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2) some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & ZENFOLIO 

Thanks. Basically, it's not needed with a digital camera. Will play with it to see what effects I get.

John
Announcements