cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens hoods with or without filters.

joetrusty
Apprentice

If I'm using a circular polarizing filter, would it be overkill to use a lens hood at the same time? Do they perform similar functions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

They each perform different functions.  A lens hood will help remove flaring by helping to shield the lens from direct sunlight.  A circular polarizer, depending on the angle in relation to the sun, will help reduce reflections/glare or even lead to deeper blues in the sky.   Having said that, you typically want the direction of the sun and direction of the lens to be at 90º for the best effect.  Is a lens hood useful at that angle? I'd say a bit.

Do note though that some lens hoods make it difficult to turn the filter.  So in some cases where the lens hood is a must, I'll remove it, adjust the CP, then re-attach the hood.

Also, please don't cross-post (same question in multiple areas).

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I always use a lens hood.  It improves the accuracy of the exposure.  But, I hardly ever use CPL filters.  But, when I do use one I am typically shooting from a tripod.  I focus without the filter using BBF, and then add the filter to take the photo.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

joetrusty
Apprentice

If I'm using a circular polarizing filter, would it be overkill to use a lens hood at the same time? Do they perform similar functions?

They each perform different functions.  A lens hood will help remove flaring by helping to shield the lens from direct sunlight.  A circular polarizer, depending on the angle in relation to the sun, will help reduce reflections/glare or even lead to deeper blues in the sky.   Having said that, you typically want the direction of the sun and direction of the lens to be at 90º for the best effect.  Is a lens hood useful at that angle? I'd say a bit.

Do note though that some lens hoods make it difficult to turn the filter.  So in some cases where the lens hood is a must, I'll remove it, adjust the CP, then re-attach the hood.

Also, please don't cross-post (same question in multiple areas).

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Thanks for your help Ricky.  And please accept my apologies for the cross-posts.

Announcements