cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what camcorder can i get to transfer minidv tapes to windows 10 computer?

dduran1210
Contributor

i need a camcorder to transfer old home movies on minidv tapes.  I have an old Panasonic that they say is

too old and they don't have drivers for it anymore.   so i need a camcorder that WILL allow me to download

the drivers needed to connect to my windows 10 computer.

any suggestions?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Others will probably chime in regarding capture cards that possibly may work with your Panasonic.  I would think though that if the Panosonic cam is connected to the capture card via a Firewire cable, then you shouldn't need any specific drivers on your PC for that cam.  Just any drivers to work with the capture card.

Having said that, depending upon how much footage you have, it may be cheaper/easier to have a service transcode the footage and supply you with digital files you can directly import/download to your computer.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

thanks for the tip.  i just need to find a camcorder with firewire connection.

Are you sure your Panasonic doesn't have Firerwire? That was the interface that was used on the original generations of MiniDV cameras.  Did Panasonic have another name for it, like Sony, who called their Firewire interface" iLink".

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Windows 11 includes ClipChamp.  Its free and is the modern equivalent of MovieMaker

It even has a drag and drop timeline editor that actually works very well for free 🙂

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Does ClipChamp import video from DV?

normadel
Authority
Authority

Are you sure your Panasonic doesn't have Firewire? That was the interface used on the original MiniDV cameras

Announcements