cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XA 20 Zoom Problem

NJS21
Apprentice

My XA 20 zooms out automatically whenI am zoning in to a subject. This happens when using the rocker switch on the handle accessory and the one on the camera.     What is going on?   

8 REPLIES 8

William_N
Enthusiast

Hello NJS21,

Welcome to the Canon Forums and thanks for your post!

This is unusual behavior as the camera should stop zooming when you release the zoom rocker. This community is designed for your fellow Canon owners to help each other out with any problems they may encounter. We do hope someone is able to assist!

However, if this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team is standing by, ready to help via Email at http://Canon.us/SupportCF

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

This should be unusual behavior, but judging by posts in the forums, it seems to be happening to a lot of Cannon owners. It’s not just the XA line either. 

ContactJim
Contributor

My XA30 is doing this too.  Makes the camera almost unusable.

Hey there,

It sounds like there may be something going on with the internal zoom switch or maybe the remote port. It may be a good idea to use a flashlight to look inside the remote port in case any debris is causing a false connection. Otherwise, it would probably be best to have the camera checked out at a service facility.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/service-repair

Hi thanks, on research this is a reoccuring issue with the XA line.  The rocker switch on top of the body of the camera has a transducer that is not in a sealed housing, and it developes problems.  I run a fabrication clean room and fixed it.  For folks who have this problem, a can of compressed air might let you blow out the switch and fix it.  If this does not fix it, consider a reomote zoom control switch.  They cost between $60 and $200.  Alternatively, you can (carefully) take off 3 body panels, then you can liff off the switch housing and clean it.

ContactJim
Contributor

Hi on researching I  found  out the line has an issue where they did not put the switch transducer (the sensor) in a sealed housing.  (I run a nano-fabrication clean room).  Try this.  Used compressed air (a can with the small plastic tube to aim the air) into the switch to blow out dust.  Alternatively, use a remote zoom switch (they cost between $60 and $200).  Finally, if you are very careful, you can take off 3 body panels and clean the switch from the bottom.  Hope this helps.

Gabe0013
Apprentice

I have the same camera, with the same problem. I have tried compressed air, which worked for a short while. I have found that I have been able to get it to stabilize by tapping the rocker, but that’s no help while recording. 

John_Q
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello NJS21,

Let's try wiping/cleaning around the zoom rockers to make sure there is nothing causing it to stick in any particular manner. This camcorder does have quite a few zoom control options that you can adjust in the menu. These are found in the Camera Setup menu. I would suggest resetting the camcorder to factory default settings to see if that resolves the issue. This setting is found in the System Setup (wrench) menu.

Announcements