cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vixia HF G50 Blurring when zooming

pjayhart
Apprentice

I shoot sports with a Canon Vixia HF G50. When I zoom in the image blurs and then when i stop zooming it takes a fraction of a second before the image clears. I shoot Lacrosse on a large field. It is very frustrating because I shoot in 4K and the action video when zooming is NOT good. 

Please help!

Thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

I'm fairly certain that the lenses in these camcorders are not parfocal.  Thus, if you currently have focus and start zooming, the camcorder is going to have to reaquire focus as the focal length changes.  So what you're observing appears to be standard behavior for this equipment.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

rcflyer
Contributor

It's very annoying when your at an airshow filming. i thought perhaps there was a infinity zoom setting that locked the focus so it didn't hunt or search as i call it. my old sony had that feature which was great . i also thought about trying to use manual focus but i can't seem to figure that out either. I'm very disappointed in this,my first canon video camera. 4K is has terrible  qualify compared to 1080 60fps . but then i didn't buy a 1080 camera . then i had to send it back to get rebuilt as it had a strange noise when using it. 

SkaterVideoGuy
Apprentice

HI pjayhart,  You should do a "Prime Focus",  Manual Focus on the farthest place that a Player might get to on the Feild. Lock it, and leave it.  Auto Focus will not work for this kind of fast motion and multi-subject event.  As long as you do not do a close-up when the Player is very close to you - you should be OK.  When doing Soccer, I was always shooting from the Press Box - no issues.  Doing Roller Derby for last 10yrs, and maybe 10ft from closest players - no issues - unless I try for super close-up.  I suggest using at least a 16" to 21" 1080p Monitor for what you're doing, along with a wired Remote for Zooming.  Been using this setup for 20+ years, and now on full Battery Power for Cam & Monitor. Here's a sample of the Derby in 4K.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRbKRq2ZObk

SkaterVideoGuy

rcflyer
Contributor

Playhart, try going to manual zoom and use your focus ring to adjust the zoom to infinity  and it shouldn't go in and out of focus. I did it at an airshow and it was much better. No blurring at all

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements