cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uploading video footage to an iMac with the Canon Vixia HF R42

tyarbrough
Apprentice

Just purchased the Canon Vixia HF R42 camcorder.  I edit video with Final Cut Pro X on my Imac desktop computer.  I am struggling with simply getting video transferred from the camcorder to my computer.  I'm using the camcorders hard drive to record - not a card.  Can this not be done with AVCHD recorded files?  Even in MP4 mode I do not see how to save the footage to my computer with an USB connection.  Help!

Terry

11 REPLIES 11

mudpuppy
Apprentice

I am having the same problem.  Have you figured it out yet?

Nope, you're the first reply received.  I never figured out how to do it.  That forced me to simply use the MPEG4 format.

With the Vixia HF M50 FCPX sees the camera just fine. It used to have problems with the hard drive I archived to from the camera though. I had to open archive to see any files on it. 

Janekong
Enthusiast

Wonder the same problem, and hope some solution will come

I use Final Cut Pro 10 and all I do is plug in my camera and FCPDoes the rest.

VideoGeek
Mentor

When the camcorder is connected to the iMac does it show up as an external storage device in Finder?  If yes, you should be able to copy files from the drive to the computer.  If not, what is the camcorder set to when you connect it to the iMac?

The camera does not show in the finder when it is plugged into the iMAC. A Canon Utilities CameraWindow DC opens instead. That allowed me to download a movie as a MP4. It went into a dated folder in Pictures. This never happened before. The camcorder is only set to playback mode. 

The camcorder was set to playback MP$ movies that were recorded on it. I had one. 

The AVCHD files, many, do not get transferred. The hard drive and the memory card both show in the Finder when AVCHD movies are selected to playback on the camcorder, but nothing is in the folders that can be transferred.

In order to get AVCHD files to save I have to plug in an external hard drive. The drive I have uses a little usb connector. The camera also uses a little usb connector. I have an adapter, a UA-100 USB2 cable is used to connect the camcorder and a  USB cable to the hard drive. The camcorder then will copy files to the WD hard drive. You can playback from it on the camcorder. The hard drive allows you to access MTS files under AVCHD. 

Announcements