cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MiniDV playback compatibility

MontanaMike
Apprentice

I have a box full of miniDV tapes that I want to convert to digital files. The tapes were recorded on a Canon ZR series camcorder which is no longer among the living. Looking at replacing the unit with either another ZR camcorder of a GL2. Will playback be impacted if I playback on a GL2? Any implications on playback within the ZR series (say if recorded on a ZR 60 and played back on a ZR10? Any other suggestions for playback sources? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Mark35mmF2
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi there,

MiniDV tapes do not use any special type of encryption or codecs in their footage, so any MiniDV compatible player or camcorder should be able to play back the footage without issue.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Mark35mmF2
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi there,

MiniDV tapes do not use any special type of encryption or codecs in their footage, so any MiniDV compatible player or camcorder should be able to play back the footage without issue.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Investing in this technology, even used, it not worth your time.  You'll have to buy another camcorder, a firewire card, or a DVD recorder that supports RCA in.  If you want to edit, you'll need software and only the older stuff will typically support firewire now.  While all of this is possible, when you take the expense and your time into consideration, you will end up spending more than if you had it done elsewhere.  My recommendation is send the tapes to a service for conversion and be done with them.  You'll use this stuff once, and never again.  Up to you of course.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks for providing the perspective on related issues.  I do have the technology to convert/edit the video. I have a G5 Mac with OS9 and I am using iMovie 4 as the app and firewire for connectivity.  It has worked well in the past and I have kept the older hardware just for this purpose. I have about 22 miniDV tapes and conversion houses want upwards to $12/tape plus shipping. So I just want to find a reasonably priced piece of hardware to play the tapes. I know the Canon ZR series as the tapes were created on an earlier model of the series. As I have looked at used ZR models on eBay I occasionally come across other version of the miniDV platform and wanted to be sure that there would not be compatibility.  I do thank you for reminding me of major improvements that have been made in the video technology as  sometimes I see the older high end camera selling for a pittance of their former selves.

Announcements