cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Vixia HF G60 - Questions on: Gain dB versus ISO - and other questions

Casey415
Enthusiast

Hello. I usually use my Canon 90D and M50 DSLR cameras for shooting videos. I recently got a new Canon Vixia HF G60 from Best Buy. I'm liking it so far, but as a beginner in Canon camcorders, I have questions please.

1) I fully understand what ISO means as it relates to exposure values for DSLR and film cameras. But I have no idea how to adjust "GAIN" setting properly. Is there a way of converting GAIN values to ISO values? For example, if my Sekonic 308XU light meter gives me an incident light meter reading of f4.0 @ 1/50 @ ISO 800, what GAIN number do I use on the G60 camcorder to match my Sekonic reading for the ISO value? When I tap on the "GAIN" button on the LCD menu, I get choices ranging from 0.0dB to 39.0dB. What dB number should I use to get the equivalent of ISO 800? Is my Sekonic 308XU light meter even useful for applying exposure values on the G60 camcorder?

2) Is there a faster way of adjusting/changing audio levels while recording? The manual says to press the FUNC button on the LCD screen, which reveals more hidden menus to tap on before I can change the levels up or down. This is a bit slow and cumbersome process. Is there a better/quicker way than having to press the FUNC button and tap on more menus?

3) If I attach and use the Rode VideoMic Pro Plus external shotgun mic to the camera (the mic is self powered), do I need to turn off the microphone power setting in the camera menu? I read something in the manual about potential conflict of using a mic that is self powered versus non powered.

4) I was highly considering buying the Canon XA50 instead of the G60 because I was interested in that top handle that offers more audio/microphone features. Is it possible to buy a top handle as an optional accessory? If so, is there a buying link? In the end, I got the G60 for the $1,499 sale price versus the regular price of $2,199 for the XA50 since I'm unsure how often I would ever use the top handle audio functions.

d

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tim
Authority

Casey415, 

At this time we do not manufacture a handle unit with XLR inputs for this model.  We regret any inconvenience that this may cause you at this time.  

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

Tim
Authority

Hello Casey415, 

We recommend giving us a call through our technical support hotline.  

For support on this product, please call 1-800-652-2666 and follow the prompts for Technical Support. Agents are available during the following times. All times EST, excluding holidays.

Camcorders - VIXIA 1-800-652-2666 Monday-Friday: 9:00 am to 9:00 pm

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks for your reply. Actually, I can figure out all my questions, except one. 

Can you answer this question for me please: 

Can I buy a top handle with the XLR audio ports for my Canon G60 camcorder? Is this available as an optional add-on accessory? Is it even possible to mount a top handle to the G60?

Thanks! -Casey

Tim
Authority

Casey415, 

At this time we do not manufacture a handle unit with XLR inputs for this model.  We regret any inconvenience that this may cause you at this time.  

Great, thank you for your confirmation. I had a feeling this is not possible, since I could not find anything available anywhere.

Inapickle
Rising Star

Regarding your second question:

2) Is there a faster way of adjusting/changing audio levels while recording? The manual says to press the FUNC button on the LCD screen, which reveals more hidden menus to tap on before I can change the levels up or down. This is a bit slow and cumbersome process. Is there a better/quicker way than having to press the FUNC button and tap on more menus?

On my HF-G40 the 'MIC Level' function can be assigned to one of the 'assignable buttons', which is very convenient. I have it assigned to button #3 at the back of the camcorder. For some reason Canon decided to drop 'MIC Level' as an 'assignable' function on the 4K models  - goodness knows why ! I've read numerous reviews bemoaning this omission. Surely it would just take a firmware update to put it back.

Out of the various assignable buttons available, none of the choices allow for changing to audio mic levels. This makes no sense because this is an important function, way more important than some of the other available choices available. It's slow and cumbersome having to press the FUNC button on the LCD screen and fiddle around with layers of menus just to be able to change the audio recording level. Sad.

Many of the Vixia models have a lot in common with the XF-400/405 but the XF 400 series units have dedicated audio gain controls built into the detachable top handle.  Otherwise you have to use the function/menu choice to adjust audio gain for them also AND if you use its 4 channel audio capability then gain for channels 3 and 4 are only adjustable via the menu even with the top handle unit attached.

I agree it was an odd choice not to make access to audio gain level more convenient.  But probably most people leave them in the automatic setting letting AGC take care of things while ignoring any shortocmings of the system just like a large number of people buy a very capable DSLR and never take it out of the fully automatic program mode or buy any lens beyond the "kit" lens packed with their original purchase.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Thanks for the extra info on your camcorder, I almost wish I spent the extra several hundred for the top handle model, such as the XA series. Then again, I wish I spent even more to get the same XF model you have because I also want the larger 3.5" LCD screen which I would find also hugely helpful to see all the tiny little icons and small text fonts. In order to get both a top handle model with a larger 3.5" screen (instead of 3.0"), I would have to spend on a model 2 levels higher, LOL! I literally have to put on my reading glasses to read the very small numbers and tiny symbols such as "c" for Custom or "p" for Power. It's a pain. 

Yes, I'm sure you're totally correct that most people simply place their camera on the "P" button for Professional mode, haha! For myself, I have become very, very particular about obtaining the highest audio quality possible (at least in a cost effective way). To that end, I've spent quite a bit more on a Saramonic UHF wireless lav mic system, plus the Rode Wireless Go system, plus the Rode VideoMic Pro Plus shotgun mic, Movo mics, and also various corded lavalier microphones. Spent even more on a Tascam and Zoom audio recorder for redundant audio coverage. Spent many hours testing all my various audio gear to figure out ideal settings to get clean audio from a distance (for filming speaker presentations). As you can tell, I'm pretty serious about audio, my short experience shooting videos has been met with a steep learning curve, haha!

I might possibly end up getting a second Canon camcorder. If so, it will probably be the same XF model you have so I can have the top handle audio/zoom functions, plus the extra 1/2 inch larger LCD screen. 

Casey,

With the amount you have spent on audio accessories,  a GOOD external mixer console would be a wise addition which will take care of convenient audio level adjustments. 

And if the Canon touch screen and interface really starts to bother you just drive a Cadillac with their poorly designed CUE user interface system and then your camcorder will seem so much better 🙂  I have a 2014 ATS as my daily driver which has nice performance and handling but the interface to the audio / climate control / nav system looks like a failed middle school science project.  With my 2016 Corvette or 2018 GMC 2500HD Denali I can make any adjustments or changes without thought or taking my attention away from the road but CUE makes even simple tasks a multiple step process (like that audio gain control on your G60).  And CUE's touch sensor area for raising the control panel to access the nearly useless compartment hidden behind it is deviously located near some of the most used touch areas so if you miss the intended function you have to wait while the stupid panel slowly opens so that you can then command it to close again and finally make whatever change you wanted to in the first place.  It makes the Canon interface seem really nice.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Announcements