cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to format vixia hfr500

canonman62
Contributor

I am having troubles with memory cards in the camcorder.  I put a card in and its says check memory card.  i bought a new one put it in and same thing.  where can i format that card. i think that is all it needs but i cant find format,  thanks

kevin

9 REPLIES 9

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If you are using SD cards, make sure that the "write protect" tab is in the proper position to allow writing to the card.  Also, if you're using micro-SD cards, they tend to be unreliable because of their adapters.  Make sure that you are using a quality card, one that meets the writing speed requirements of the camcorder, Class 10 most likely.

Finally, take a peek inside of your camera's card slot to make sure that there are no bent or twisted connection pins. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Not using a micro sd adapter with a card in it. I am using a class 10 sd card. Looked inside slot nothing looks to be bent. the card isnt write protect. i can put them in other dslr cameras and it works just fine.

ehoff121
Apprentice

First, did you make sure to insert the card so that you hear it click and are able to close the card door?

The onscreen menu for formatting the SD card is found by pressing the Home icon in the upper left corner of the display, then clicking on the "Other Settings" icon (Screwdriver and Hammer) then press the "Tools" tab (wrench/spanner icon). There are two helpful items for the SD card on this menu: "Available Space in Memory" and "Initialize SD". If you have properly inserted the card, "Available Space in Memory" will show the used and free space as well as class of card. When you are ready to format the card (write protect for the card is off), use the Initialize function and press the "Initialize" button at the bottom of the display.

ehoff. i have tried that and still says check sd card. im dumbfounded by this

@canonman62 wrote:
ehoff. i have tried that and still says check sd card. im dumbfounded by this

Please post the specs of the SD card you purchased. What capacity does it have? Is it SDHC? SDXC? UHS-1 or UHS-3? Brand?

Have you tried to format the card in another device (if you have one)?

I am using a 32 gig ultra plus sd card.  48 mb/sec class 10 sandisk.  i will try to format with different camera.  

Ok formated with another camera and it worked.  why is that.  hopefully it will last for good

@canonman62 wrote:

Ok formated with another camera and it worked.  why is that.  hopefully it will last for good

Are you able to get to the tools menu and to the Initialize option on your camcorder?

@canonman62 wrote:

I am using a 32 gig ultra plus sd card.  48 mb/sec class 10 sandisk.  i will try to format with different camera.  

48 mb/sec could be a little faster for HD video.  But, that has nothing to do with the card not formatting.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements