cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to eliminate "flicker" on vixia r52 when transferring super 8 film?

montedt
Apprentice

6 REPLIES 6

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Montedt,

Thanks for posting your inquiry.

You may be able to reduce flicker using your camcorder's "Flicker Reduction" menu option. This option, actually intended to reduce flicker under fluorescent lighting, may work when you're recording your movies. This menu option is shown on page 146 is described on page 147 of the VIXIA HF R52 Instruction Manual.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Setting  flicker reduction to either 50, or 60 hertz, made NO significant change in amount of flicker recorded.

Still searching.  Thanks for your response.

How are you performing the transfers?  With a camcorder?  It almost sounds like the frame rates are out of sync.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Projectiong with an older "fixed frame rate" super "8" projector. No speed adjustment on projector.

Capturing on my Canon R52 camcorder.

@montedt wrote:

Projectiong with an older "fixed frame rate" super "8" projector. No speed adjustment on projector.

Capturing on my Canon R52 camcorder.

That's what I suspected.  I think you have a frame rate synchronization problem, with no good means to correct for it.  They do sell converters, though.  I cannot speak about their performance, but you can easily spend well over four digits for one.  At least make sure that the frame rate of the R52 matches the frame rate of the projector.

I did a quick web search and have seen a device,  Wolverine Data F2D 7-in-1 Converter, that costs about 1/3 the price of your R52, but requires that you go through the tedious process of scanning each frame, one by one, and later using software, which you must provide, to convert the sequence of stills into a video file.  It does not get flying colors for image quality, however.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for your effort.  Will probably "sit" on this project for a while.

Announcements