cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

expand pixela android device support please

rickmurphy
Contributor

The Pixela Camera Access app in Play Store supports only one, that's right one, Android device: the Motorola DroidX.  Given the numer of Android devices in the market I was shocked to learn this after I already bought my camcorder.

What is the release schedule to support more devices?

I emailed the Pixela development team through the link on the Play Store page and they have not answered my email. Also, the Camera Access app cannot be found by searching the Play Store sight.

Also, I had to hand code the URL supplied in the manual into my browser window just to find the Play Store page. 

If I can't use the Wifi capabilities of the camcorder because the software support is lacking, then I overpaid for the camcorder.

--

Rick

11 REPLIES 11

Stephen

Hi rickmurphy!
So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know exactly what Canon equipment you're using, any error messages you're getting, and the Android device and version of the Android you're using. Any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue! Thanks and have a great day!

Stephen thanks for your fast response. I also got a fast response from Judith at Canon tech support, so great job by Canon. 

I'm happy to provide this information, but it won't do any good if I can't even download the Camera Access application from Play Store. I need to be able to download Camera Access to  a Motorola RAZR HD and an Asus 7" tablet. These are widely distributed devices and it's not unreasonable to expect them to be supported by Camera Access.  Google owns Motorola and I bought the Asus tablet directly from Google. The camcorder was widely advertised to be controled remotely by an Android smartphone.

The Pixela developers that manage the Play Store downloads need to step up here. (pixeladev@gmail.com). Currently Play Store search can't even find Camera Access.

--

Rick

Rick,

Canon doesn't develop the Pixela software, so unfortunately we don't manage how they allow access to their Apps. Depending on the Canon product you have, you may still have options to be able to remotely access your camera, just respond letting us know, and we can have a Technician or the Community let you know if your product is able to be remotely accessed!

Thanks Stephen, but Canon advertised wifi capabilties and without them the product's going back. The product is the Vixia HF R40 camcorder. I can connect to the product using the SSID and password from the RAZR HD. I believe I am successfully pinging  the product at 192.168.0.81:80. The product's web server is rejecting my http request at that address. BTW - I am a software engineer. A RESTful interface may be sufficient for what I need. [Mod note - removed personal email address]

I'm still looking for a solution.

Hello,

Saw this a little too late ;-(

I bought the Canon Legria HF R48, the buying point was actually the feature to be able to control the camcorder via Smartphone.

I wasn`t able to get PIXELA CameraAccess in App store with my iPhone Vers. 4.3.3.. But as I wanted to get an Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 (Ver. 4.1.1.) anyways, I thought it might just work with Android. Well I was not able to find that app neither in Google play Store.

Only after I did exactly what Rick had to do too; typing out the link in the Handbook, I found out that only Version 4.0.3. is supported for Android and only iOS 5 for iPhone.

As it was not PIXELA who advertised a Camcorder with the ability to be controlled via Smartphone, I do think CANON is somehow a little responsible for that promise they made in the advertisment. Atleast you could have mentioned the special restrictments on Versions supported.

Thank you, Philip

Hi Flip24!
Welcome to The Canon Forums, and thank you for your inquiry! We appreciate your participation, however we need to let you know that your product seems to be a model that is not supported by our team here at Canon USA. The Canon Forum is hosted and moderated within the United States by Canon USA. We are only able to provide support for Canon products manufactured for the US market. If you live outside the United States, please click here and select your country or region for your support needs. Feel free to discuss Canon products sold outside of the United States, but please be aware that you will not receive support directly from Canon USA.

I think what's important here, Stephen, is that Canon respond to the feedback it's getting from it's customers. Canon advertised capabilities that are not available. If you look at the PlayStore there are even more disappointed customers. I copied this Today out of the PlayStore. 

Val Gilbert - May 2, 2013
samsung s3
One reason I bought this camera was for this feature and now it isn't compatible with my Samsung S3? Please hurry to make compatible

Scott Alexander - April 25, 2013
Not compatible with my device?
Really? Go back to the drawing board if you can't make this work with all Droids! Should be a category for 0 stars!

No one's looking for tech support here. We're looking for Canon to deliver what it advertised. Wtihout the wi-fi I had a videocamera like this 10 years ago.

In this age of globalization it seems unusual that you would claim you can only support products manufactured for a US market. Do you claim that Camera Access is compatible with more devices manufactured in the EU, or Africa than here in the US? 

Stephen...

My product is a $400.00  Cannon Vixia HF R40 CamCorder.

As stated before this camera ADVERTISED wifi capabilities for uploading, as well as remote control function.

as stated before there is no app, as I can see that will download to my Nexus android v 4.3... If you have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate them?

Announcements