cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connection of XH A1 camcorder to PC

andylong
Apprentice

Hello everyone. Trying desperately to connect the xh a1 to my windows 7 64 bit PC. Put camera into VCR/PLAY and connected firewire cable to both camera and PC and went into sony vegas software programme. It does not recognise the camera. I then went into signal set up (when in VCR/PLAY) and PLAYBACK STD. This is set to HDV as the footage was set to HDV. This flashes when plugged in and the PC makes no sound and does not recognise the camera. I thought it was the firewire connection so I tried my canon hv30 and it recognised that fine. So no problem with firewire. Tried the Xh A1 on my older PC (only 32 bit) and it did not see it either. COuld it be the small HDV port on the camera that is at fault? Is there any other way to capture tape on PC? Any solutions or help would be great. Thanks in advance. Andrew

4 REPLIES 4

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Andylong,

This one got me, too.  In my case, it turned out to be drivers for the firewire port on my computer.  Even if it appears in the Device Manager, I'd update the driver.

If the firewire port is built into the motherboard, you'll want to check with your computer's manufacturer or the manufacturer of the motherboard.

If the firewire connection is via an expansion board, I'd check with the board's manufacturer for the latest driver update.  Also, if there's an auxiliary power connection on the board, please ensure that the board is correctly installed and connected, according to manufacturer's instructions.

Finally, you'll also want to ensure that the firewire cable is in good condition.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I have a similar problem with my XH-A1s. When connected to my firewire card, the display alternate flashing icons "HDV/DV IN" and "CH1/2". Tried both AUTO and HDV for 'Playback STD' in signal setup. Confirmed FW card and cable is good using other equipment. FW card is up to date. Camcorder also does the same on a different computer/FW combo. Any other ideas?

Hello Steve221,

With regards to the actual accessing of the camcorder, are you using third party software?  You would need to be using a non-linear editing suite in order to process  the footage.  The DV/IN indicator appears when the firewire cable is connected. 
You may wish to check within the Device Manager when the XH-A1S is connected to ensure that your computer recognizes the device.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I'm capturing using Premiere Pro CC. I've used this setup several times since the most recent upgrade. I have had connection issues twice in the past (1 and 3 years ago) but I did not notice the flashing icons those other two times (maybe it did and I just didn't notice). It ended up being a 'fried' firewire circuit board on the camera at several hundred dollars each time. Since it only flashes when plugged into the computer (PC-Win7) it DOES see the PC but won't connect. Hopefully that means it is not a damaged FW board on the camera again. I don't have the camera right now, but I'll check Device Manager when I get it in the next day or two. Win7 doesn't make that "connection" sound any more when the camera is turned on, and PPro always shows 'Capture device offline'.
Announcements