cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom problems with G30

mimages
Apprentice

When I zoom out with the rocker switch on my G30, the zoom will return to a wide angle, especially if I lightly touch the telephoto end of the rocker. It will continue to return to wide angle by itself, even if I move the rocker switch to telephoto. This seems to occur when the weather is hot (we shoot outside much of the time) and the camera has been operating for an extended period. This zoom problem does not seem to happen if the touch screen and remote zoom are used and the camera is cool. I bought this camera 9/2013. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Could this be a defective zoom switch? Would updated firmware make any difference? Any help would be appreciated.

14 REPLIES 14

Mykolas
Authority

Hi mimages!

Thank you for posting.

Based on your description, the camcorder will need to be examined by a technician at our Factory Service Center.  To start this process, you'll need to complete a Repair Request on our website.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks for your reply. I just talked to Canon and they pretty much said the same thing. The camera is going in for repair.

I have the same problem with my G30. Was Canon able to fix your problem?

Hello Today I noticed my Canon G30 zooms out everytime I zoom in automatically. It wrecked my recording today at an event I was trying to film. I never encountered this problem before. Its so frustrating to deal with.  Is this a common problem with this camera or do I need a replacement Camera? I shouldnt be having issues with it as it is under a year old. I don't know if I feel comfortable with this camera after this happened to me. What are my options if I don't want to have this camera anymore? Can you guys upgrade cameras with me ?

I was lucky, only one month warranty left. Repair costs in Europe € 200,00 ( without warranty )

I had the same problems before with the HF100, 3 times with different cameras !!! Canon problem ???

Finally I bought a sony

Wowers this will be terrible if that is the case. I need a camera all the time as I film all the time. The camera I bought under a year. Wil they upgrade my camera?

No problem seems to me, but the time to fix the camera here is 2 weeks....

The warranty period in Holland  (thanks God) is 2 years!

I could not find another camcorder as good, as small, and as cheap as the G30-G40. Suggestions? What I particularly like about my G30 is the zoom rocker on the side. Most similar units have a useless zoom control on the top. There is no better camcorder for shooting sports. Hard use of the zoom rocker has caused me to send it in for repair 2 times. The second time was just after the 6 month repair warranty and that costed almost $300. I would like to buy a G40. Has there been any info on that model's zoom rocker control?

I sent my G30 in for repair (unwanted auto-zooming in and out issue) in June, 2016 and it worked well until the end of September. Now the zoom has become jerky particularly when zooming. I've used Canon camcorders to film all of my three sons' soccer games and never had an issue with the zoom prior to this model. I do like the side mounted rocker switch, but this problem is very irritating. I'm hoping (but I don't know if one is in effect) that a repair warranty covers the cost of this repair...

Announcements