cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZR50MC won't record, will playback a previously recorded tape.

lift-tech
Apprentice

The camera has been in storage for three years in a hutch,  was headed to a pagent this past weekend so installed a new backup battery and a fully charged main battery.

When I fired it up I set the date and wanted to test a new tape to make sure it was working correctly.   When I press record there is no video in the lcd or veiwfinder, just a black screen with all the info on it.  The screen background is black and I can see all the menu's on the screen and make any changes I want in the Menu. 

The screen changes from pause to record when I press the record button but no video,  when I back the tape up  there is audio but no video on the tape.  Moving my hand in front of the lens doesn't effect the black screen. 

It does play a previousy recorded tape very nicely on the lcd and also my TV.   I am going to order a head cleaning tape but I fear there is something else going on seeing as it plays recorded tapes well .

Any help would be appreciated

1 REPLY 1

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi lift-tech,

I'm sorry to hear that your ZR50MC has malfunctioned.

Because the service life for this camcorder has expired, Canon no longer offers the service required to correct this issue.  I regret the difficulty this causes.

You may wish to participate in the Canon Loyalty Program.  This program allows you to replace your current camcorder with a refurbished Canon camcorder for a discounted fee, and have it shipped via Ground delivery.

The refurbished unit offered through this program carries a 90 day warranty.  The original non-functioning camcorder would then be returned to Canon USA for recycling using a prepaid shipping label that would be provided.

If you would like to take part in this option, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 seven days a week, 8am to Midnight.  Let them know you have been working with email technical support and the Canon Loyalty Program was offered.  Be sure to have your serial number for your camcorder at the time of your call.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements