cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XF400 image distortion

maslan
Apprentice

My XF400 image was damaged after pressing the infrared button ON and OFF switch. It's now permanently purple, if i press the button once again it looks as if the filter was out of place. It doesn't go back to normal (I had never pressed the infrared button before since I have no use for it, I was just testing it).

The camera has barely 3 months of use, three months and a couple of days actually. I bought the camera at B&H. I am in Brazil and I was told by Canon that the warranty doesn't cover something that seems a manufacturing problem. I have shown them the B&H receipt. proof of purchase. They answer emails sporadically, making communication with Canon Brazil very cumbersome

I went out of my way to warn others about this problem by writing a review at B&H and on Amazon.

I think what got me the most annoyed about this whole experience is the attitude Canon took. They told me that I would have to pay for the repair if I want the camera to function again normally, which in Brazil is the same as buying a brand new XF400 out of the box in New York. Now, why would I spend the equivalent of a brand new camera to repair a camera that is already new? Why would the customer be responsible in paying a manufacturing error?

Canon Brazil said that it would be best if I travel to the states and send the camera for repair there (since sending from a developing country is not recommendable). So that means I have to buy a plane ticket, get a place to stay, send the camera for repair, wait to see if it's covered by the warranty, and hope for the best. The Canon representative commented that I could have purchased an extended warranty at B&H. Well, you see, I thought that Canon was a reliable brand, I wouldn't need an extended warranty, and that manufacturing errors would be common sense that the company would cove, especially with new equipment.

This experience has left me with a sour taste. I have invested a lot in the brand in the past. 

I've bought from them:

Canon 1DX Mark II

5D (the original)

5D Mark II

5D Mark III

Canon 80D

XF300 (previous model)

70-200mm 2.8

24mm 1.4

50mm 1.2

24-70mm 2.8

135mm 2.0

16-35mm 4.0

100mm 2.8macro

85mm 1.2

85mm 1.4

XF400 distortion

4 REPLIES 4

IamintheUK
Rising Star
Rising Star

What do B&H have to say? If the warrenty does not cover a manufacturing problem,  normaly one of the things a warrenty is for, then it is pointless.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
EOS C100 mk2 with the Canon EF-S 18-135mm IS STM lens - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n - Dell 8700 i7-4790 3.6Ghz, 24GB Ram, Win 10, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB - DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.5 - Blackmagic Speed Editor - Presonus Faderport 1

Patrick-AU
Apprentice

I've been having this issue since a month or so. After some experimenting it seems that the a certain zone of lighting ends up being green. First I though it was the areas overexposed that were turning green, a bit like peaking, but on closer inspection, it is not. As you can see in this photo the far corner is the brightest zone and it is the zone slightly darker that has turned green and then it goes back to normal colours where it is darker still.
If i adjust the exposure darker, the zone starts disappearing.
Also the picture in general seems to be more grainy.

Did a reset to defaults but that didn't help.
Camera is a few years old now. Mostly used inside for webinars nowadays.

Couldn't find any help on the internet looking for Canon XF400 green colour troubleshoot, but found this page so thought I'd add. Anyone fixed this?

IMG_3326.jpg

There is nothing you can do except send the camera to Canon - they will charge you around 950 dollars to fix it. They told me they have to change the sensor or something like that. I gave up on the camera and switched to Sony.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I suspected a sensor failure.  A green tinge that is uniformly across the entire frame can be lighting.  Usually it manifests itself like a mask or transparency.  When it's not uniform, its almost always the sensor. Rarely its power, the memory card or storage media.

Warranty duration varies by country and region.  I'd arrange for inspection and repair.  This way you can find out what's wrong and see what your options are.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements