cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XA30 keeps zooming out

ContactJim
Contributor

My XA30 automaticly zooms out.  My firmware is up to date and I have tried resetting the camera.   Both the zoom button on the body and the handle seem to do this.  Will not hold zoom.  This makes the camera almost unusable!

7 REPLIES 7

AmandaC
Contributor

@ContactJim wrote:

My XA30 automaticly zooms out.  My firmware is up to date and I have tried resetting the camera.   Both the usps tracking zoom button on the body and the handle seem to do this.  Will not hold zoom.  This makes the camera almost unusable!

Its an issue with the unit. I got mine replaced as it was showing same issue.

Regards,
Amanda

I had the same problem, sent it in for repair and the issue was fixed for a bit. After a few months, it started happening again. Of course, warranty was expired by then. I really like the camera, but that defect makes me hesitant to bust it out if I don't need to record audio.

Dirt or moisture under the rock switch commonly causes this. Used a blast of canned air to blow it clean. I have (on audio equipment) also used CAIG DeOxit (a cleaning/and surface protecting spray) but it is designed for audio connections, so no sure if it is smart in this situation.

Mark35mmF2
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hey there, ContactJim,

AmandaC is right, this is likely an internal malfunction with one of the camera's zoom switches being stuck in the telephoto position. Here's the link to the Service and Repair page where you can set up repair service.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/service-repair

I am having the same problem with my Vixia HF-100. I contacted Canon Service and Repair and was told that since my camera was over 7 years old it is no longer supported but they would be happy to get me a good deal on a new camcorder. I only use this camcorder about 10 hours per year for special family events. I can't recall exactly when I purchased it but it's probbly been around 10 years ago. So 10 years of use times 10 hours per year is in the neighborhood of around 100 total hours of use. Let me ask you this Mark ( I assume that's your name based upon your user name) if you bought a new cell phone and it quit working after 100 hours of use and then you contacted the manufacturer and were told that they no longer support it but they'd be happy to sell you a new one, how would you feel toward that manufacturer? That's how I and all the others who are having this problem, (and there are many based upon what I'm seeing in various forums) feel toward Canon. This is clearly a defect and should be fixed by the manufacturer without charge.

Dirt or moisture under the rock switch commonly causes this. Used a blast of canned air to blow it clean. It has restored function to my switch several times.

I've also used a blast of air a couple times to restore function but it only lasted for one use of the camera each time. The latest attempt with the air was unsuccessful. I see that you say it has restored function to your switch "several times" so I assume this has been your experience too, except that it is still working for you.

Announcements