cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XA20 Camcorder record directly to computer?

bmwilkins
Apprentice

I haven't purchased a new camcorder for years, so things have changed a bit. In the olden days I could record directly to a computer (not just transfer files after they've been recorded). Hook up to a video editing program via firewire and hit record on the computer.

I can find no way to do this with our new XA20 camera. No firewire. Lots o' nice features like wifi, but the extent that I can do is download - either hard-wired or via FTP - a file after it is recorded.

Am I missing something here? can I record directly to my computer?

3 REPLIES 3

Crista
Whiz

Hi bmwilkins!

To have a better understanding of your issue, please let everyone know what operating system (Windows Vista/7/8 or Mac OS 10.X) you are using. That way, community will be able to assist you with suggestions appropriate for your product.

If this is an urgent support need, please CLICK HERE to reach our friendly Technical Support Team.

Thanks!

Ah, of course! I am using MacOS 10.7.5. 

I'm not sure whether this will work or not but one option is an HDMI video capture device.  This would enable you to use the HDMI out cable and connect it to the video capture device which will connect to the Mac via a USB cable.  I have searched the manual, but I may have missed something, and this is the best I could come up with.

Announcements