cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XA10 - HDMI output drops to 480 when capture card attached

laspinall
Apprentice

I'm connecting an XA10 to a computer (Windows) via HDMI with a video capture card, to use the XA10 as a remote camera for a livestream event, but when I connect everything the HDMI output drops to only 480 rather than the 1080 I have it set to push out.

As you can see in the video below, I have the HDMI output set to 1080, but when I attach the capture card to the computer, that setting greys out and the HDMI status says it's only pushing out 480. And I can visually confirm on the computer that the feed is SD and not FHD.

I don't know the manufacturer of the camera card. It's NOT Elgato's product. It's a lower-cost knock-off that I bought from the The Camera Store in Calgary, Canada. I'm working through troubleshooting with them; they say they've never had a customer report this problem before. FWIW, looks like the same card is sold on Amazon by MavisLink, but I suspect they're just using the same manufacturer as the The Camera Store.

I'm wondering if there's some particular setting in the XA10 I should be paying attention to. I've gone through the menus a million times, though, and nothing is popping out. Thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

laspinall
Apprentice

Found my solution: Get a better capture card. The HDMI output works just fine with the Elgato Cam Link 4K. You get what you pay for, I guess. I exchanged the knock-off card for the Elgato and all is now well.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I found a few reviews where others said theirs only worked at 480p as well. 

What software did you install on the PC?

Have you tried on another machine?

Different HDMI cable, etc?  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

laspinall
Apprentice
Thanks, @shadowsports. For clarity, by “theirs only worked at 480p as well,” do you mean the XA10 or their capture card?

I didn’t manually install any software. It’s one of those self-contained USB devices that runs its own quick config the first time it’s plugged in.

I tried two different PCs. One was a mid-range laptop, the other was a more powerful desktop. Same problem on both.

For comparison I tried the capture card with an EOS 80D and with a 5D MkII, and both of those were able to push full 1080p through the card. The 80D was using the same cable as the XA10, the 5D was not. Based on all this, I’m pretty confident the problem is rooted in the camera and not the capture card.

laspinall
Apprentice

Found my solution: Get a better capture card. The HDMI output works just fine with the Elgato Cam Link 4K. You get what you pay for, I guess. I exchanged the knock-off card for the Elgato and all is now well.

They must have upgraded the cheap knock offs recently or some brands of knock offs are better than others. 

I was having the same issue as you.

The HDMI output dropping to 720x480 when trying to using cheap knock offs.

I have two of same style you tried. One worked, the other didn't. 

After I found the one that worked I bought a second and it worked as well. 

The $17 DIGITNOW USB 2.0 HDMI capture card I bought off of Amazon currently works for me. 

Coolking
Apprentice
Hello thank you for the post. Glad it work out for you. I am trying XA10 with Elgato HD60s. Trying to live stream to YouTube 1080p 60fps. Will XA10 handle 1080p 60fps? Can you please help with the settings in the cam as to what needs to be done.
Thank you in Advance.
Announcements