cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XA-50 Image Stabilization Issues

editinglife
Contributor

Hello all,

Long time Canon User.  I have a fleet of XA-10's (10 of them total), have used multiple SLR's (currently using the R6... awesome) and I recently purchased a couple Canon XA-50's.

Overall, I love the XA-50 and it's features.  The abilty to film in 4k will help me on some shoots, and I prefer the versatility of camcorders for live events (weddings, corporate speaking events, etc.) vs. SLR's, which I striclty use for photography. 

Anyway, one area of concern I do have with the XA-50 is the image stabilization.  I've tried setting it in Standard and Dynamic mode, with the same results.  Those results?  Shakiness.  Check out this footage:

https://youtu.be/uJzqVjV7_QA

This is shot using a monopod, the videographer (me) standing as still as possible.  But you'll still notice a bit of jitteryness in the footage.  When I use our XA-10's for the same purpose, we don't get any of that jitteryness.  The footage is smooth as silk (I also love the LCD on the XA-10... I'm perplexed why Canon would use inferior LCD's on upgraded equipment to the XA line... but that's relatively minor to me at least).  

Why would the XA-10's image stabilization be so much better than the XA-50's?   

Is there something I can do to rectifiy this image stabilization issue with the XA-50?   If it had the same image stabilization capability as the XA-10 (and maybe the same LCD... haha), it would be my dream camera!  

Any advice or expertise here, pertaining to the image stabilization, would be appreciated.  

-Matt

13 REPLIES 13

Thanks again for your input!  My last comments may have been misunderstood... I intended to say we just discoverd the Powered IS and planned to use it at a couple weddings this past week.  

We turned it ON and left it on all day.  For close ups, zoom ins, wide shots.  Whatever.  Results were mixed, but there was a dramatic drop in the 'jitters' for closer-up type shots where we had to zoom in at least 50% or more.  So that does seem to help in that department.  

Still nowhere near as steady as our XA-10's though, which is a bummer, but not the end of the world (as Final Cut Pro has an outstanding image stabilizer we can use to fix most cases of the jitters... just more time consuming). 

On a brighter note, I jumped at the Sirui P-424SR and, WOW, what an amzing tool.  I've tried other monopods with feet, but they were not stable enough to hold the cameras up and almost seemed pointless vs. a standard monopod.  However, this Sirui paired with a decent, lightweighit Manfrotto head (MVH500AH), really made the job easier with these particular cameras.  I haven't edited that wedding yet, but I'm expecting to see even better shots with less jitters.  

I bought three more of the Sirui's to add to our other kits so everyone on our team will have the opportunity to utilize them... so I appreate the tips from both of you regarding that option!

I'll report back with how that footage looks when I get to it.   

@editinglife wrote:

Thanks again for your input!  My last comments may have been misunderstood... I intended to say we just discoverd the Powered IS and planned to use it at a couple weddings this past week.  

We turned it ON and left it on all day.  For close ups, zoom ins, wide shots.  Whatever.  Results were mixed, but there was a dramatic drop in the 'jitters' for closer-up type shots where we had to zoom in at least 50% or more.  So that does seem to help in that department.  

https://www.canon.ca/en/product?name=XA50&category=/en/products/Video-Cameras---PRO/Professional-Cam...

Quoting from the 'Features' section:

"5-Axis Optical Image Stabilization

The XA50 camcorder also incorporates a 5-axis Optical Image Stabilization (IS) system. The camcorder features three modes of image stabilization: Standard, Dynamic and Powered.

In Standard IS mode, the stabilizing angle is made constant independent of the zoom magnification.

Dynamic IS mode extends the stabilizing range at the wide end of the focal length, allowing for image stabilization when shooting while walking.

Powered IS mode helps facilitate stabilization in the low frequency range at the tele end, and should be used exclusively for fixed-point shooting which does not involve panning"

Really, that's the only scenario where Powered IS is of benefit. Added to which, if you leave it on all the time it will consume more power and shorten battery life - I don't know by how much, as I've never been inclined to test it...on my HF-G40, that is.

Actually if you put the camcorder into full 'Auto' mode and zoom in on a distant object you will see (from the on screen icon) that the camcorder automatically switches from Dynamic IS (default in Auto mode) to Powered IS at full telephoto and if you pan or tilt just a little, while fully zoomed in, it will revert back to Dynamic IS.

@editinglife wrote:

Still nowhere near as steady as our XA-10's though, which is a bummer, but not the end of the world (as Final Cut Pro has an outstanding image stabilizer we can use to fix most cases of the jitters... just more time consuming).  

Never used FCP so can't comment on the image stabilizer. On the odd occasion I've resorted to digital stabilization in-post, I've always used the Deshaker plugin for VirtualDub, with very good results. Bear in mind that there will inevitably be some loss in image quality. 

@editinglife wrote:

On a brighter note, I jumped at the Sirui P-424SR and, WOW, what an amzing tool.  I've tried other monopods with feet, but they were not stable enough to hold the cameras up and almost seemed pointless vs. a standard monopod.  However, this Sirui paired with a decent, lightweighit Manfrotto head (MVH500AH), really made the job easier with these particular cameras.  I haven't edited that wedding yet, but I'm expecting to see even better shots with less jitters.  

I bought three more of the Sirui's to add to our other kits so everyone on our team will have the opportunity to utilize them... so I appreate the tips from both of you regarding that option!

I'll report back with how that footage looks when I get to it.   

That's quite an investment. Hope it works out for you. I tried using a Manfrotto fluid video head (701HDV) with my Sirui P204SR monopod, but it just didn't suit me. For one thing it made it too top-heavy and more difficult to balance, especially with the pan handle attached. And there was too much drag on the 'fluid' pan to be usable, even when fully loosened.

For my style of shooting, I prefer a tilt head. Currently I'm using a Sirui L-10 which, although not 'fluid', has fine, smooth tension control. For dynamic shots I set the tension on the top swivel section of the monopod and the ball-joint at the base so there is just enough resistance to allow fluid movements. That way, I can get in close to the LCD screen and EVF and comfortably hold the camcorder with one hand whilst making on-screen adjustments and operating the controls. For long static shots, at full telephoto, I'll switch from Standard IS to Powered IS, lock-down the tilt head and top swivel section with my left hand (when possible) and cup the camcorder with both hands before pressing Record. My only frustration is that you have to reach down to tighten/loosen the ball joint at the base, which can get a bit tedious when setting up for locked-down 'hands-free' shots on uneven ground. 

Some people use the pan handle on a video head like a shoulder/chest brace, but I found it just got in the way. Plus, in order to zoom whilst controlling movements with the pan handle you really need a LANC zoom remote. That said, I might, at some point swap the L-10 tilt head out for a Sirui VA-5 fluid video head, which is relatively light and compact. Even if I don't use the pan handle it would be nice to have some counter-balance on the tilt. When I checked one out in a photo store, it seemed like the fluid pan on the VA-5 might be usable also -  finer control of the drag than was possible on my old 701HDV head.

Cheers.

kelseyrieger24
Apprentice

Hello, there!

I have read many forums for a solution to the stabilization issue with the xa50 Canon.

almost completely putting that camera away for good and buying a brand new one because I was so agitated with it.
with that being said, I’m going to keep this short and sweet.

I recently purchased the DJI RS2, which holds the most weight for a Ronin gimbal. I avoided the crane gimbal because of reviews. 
must I say just how impressed I am!!
after 6 years of putting up with unsteady footage, I can finally say, I am so very impressed!!!!!!!!!

GET YOURSELF A GIMBAL! I have waited years to be able to come back to this very post with a solution! I hope this help you all as well

much love, and many blessing to you 

Sincerely, Kelsey Crystal Rieger 

Hi Kelsey,

I think it's very nice of you to have kept this tread in mind all this time.  I certainly appreciate it!  

I still deploy the XA50 from time to time.  It is a great camera and does best on a tripod.  If I have to have it on a monopod or get close up shots of things, I've just learned you really can't zoom in too much and keep it steady enough for good footage without a tripod or super stable monopod.  But it gets the job done, especially when I need 4k capture. 

However, I'm doing more and more real estate videos and have been turning to my SLR's for that more often and have been looking at the very gimbal you mention here.  Now that I've seen this post, I'm going to pull the trigger and get one!  

I really appreciate your input:)

-Matt

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements