cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will the XA-20 remember the Manual Focus Setting?

pt92mach
Apprentice

My question is "Will the XA-20 keep the Manual Focus setting if you turn the camera off and then back on?" This is the first time I will be using my new XA-20 to capture a Performing Arts Show. I will set the focus before the curtains are closed with someone standing in the middle of the stage. My previous Sony DV would remember its focus if turned off, I don't have enough experience with maunal focus on the XA-20 to know how it acts. I've done a little experimenting and gotten mixed results. To be safe, I'm going to keep the camera in standby and not off before the show and during intermission but I'd like to know how it is supposed to act.

mark

2 REPLIES 2

TheDiveO
Contributor

Speaking for the HF G30 which has the same body as the XA20 to the best of my knowledge ... the camcorder seems to keep the focus setting during power off. However, as this is undocumented behavior you never can't be fully sure.

Tim
Authority

Hello pt92mach,

The operation of manual focus will be retained on the XA20 when the camcorder is powered off.  I believe you may be referring to a focus preset, where a certain location is preset and returned to quickly, in which case the preset is not retained upon shutting the camcorder down. 

If you would like to contact our technical support department directly, you may do so through the main Canon web site under the Contact Us tab

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements