cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does my Canon Vixia HF G20 go light and dark on it's own even when I have it in manual mode?

Evolving
Apprentice

Hi, I have taken the training wheels off, i.e., switched from auto to manual mode on my Canon Vixia HF G20.  So far, it's been going well.  I was hoping that the switch would take care of a real problem I've experienced in auto mode.  The captured video seems to cycle from light to darker.  This happens even when the person isn't moving.  I don't think it happens as much on a tight shot, but does on a wider shot.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

Nickcamera
Contributor

I am having this same issue. Is there a fix? Or a setting that I am missing?

If your G20 is like my G40, when it is set to manual mode and you power off and turn it on later, the exposure control reverts to auto. So you have to set it to manual exposure each time you power the camera on. The effect you are seeing is most likely the auto exposure working.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
EOS C100 mk2 with the Canon EF-S 18-135mm IS STM lens - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n - Dell 8700 i7-4790 3.6Ghz, 24GB Ram, Win 10, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB - DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.5 - Blackmagic Speed Editor - Presonus Faderport 1

Yup, mine does that! That has to be it. Thanks
Announcements