cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vixia R40 audio input issue

Drumin
Apprentice

I picked up this R40 camcorder and found out that in order to use an external mic I have to use a powered mic. A friend loaned me his Audio Technica mic and a portable 9v preamp. It almost works great... The problem is that when there is no noise, like when it's sitting idle for a few seconds, the audio level increases as if it's trying to pick up quiet sounds. As soon as I start talking that noise drops out but, the first words out of my mouth are flooded by this "white noise" before the level goes normal and my voice is clear with no hiss. If I don't talk for a couple of seconds the noise floor slowly increases until I start talking again. We tested the mic and preamp on a Kodak Zi8 and it works flawlessly. Help?

TIA

1 REPLY 1

IamintheUK
Rising Star
Rising Star

That's the automatic gain control working. You will have to look at the R40 manual to see if it has a manual level control mode.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
EOS C100 mk2 with the Canon EF-S 18-135mm IS STM lens - Zoom H2n - Dell 8700 i7-4790 3.6Ghz, 24GB Ram, Win 10, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB - DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.6 - Blackmagic Speed Editor - Presonus Faderport 1 - DJI Ronin S
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements