cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vixia HF20 Blurry/Pixelation in Video

DevilishBooster
Apprentice

I recently purchased a Vixia HF20 on eBay used, but in really good condition with all original packaging and contents (the guy said he used it a couple times and then it sat unused), and after using it a couple times I found that in the videos I recorded there is this wierd pixely-blurring whenever there is movement of either the camera (if hand held) or movement of objects in the frame (if stationary). The pixelation is usually around the edge of objects from what I can tell. This is my first camcorder so I have no clue what could be causing it. Do I have a setting enabled (or not enabled) that could be causing it? I have looked up video demos of the camera on YouTube and the image always looks so clear and nice, but mine does not.

Does anyone know what could be causing it? Is the sensor bad? Did I get jipped? I bought this planning on using it to make videos for the YouTube channel I am getting started on, but if it is only ever going to produce poor quality videos then I'm just going to have to get something else. I'm really hoping I didn't waste my money because I was very careful in shopping around and looking for a deal. 😞 Many thanks in advance for any help that you can give me!

P.S. - If people want I could upload a clip to YouTube to share so that you can see what I'm talking about.

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

You should probably get the unit checked out by Canon.  I would never buy anything that was used, sight unseen.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I actually figured it out. It apparently has to do with the fact it shoots interlaced video. Once the video gets rendered to h.264 then it seems to clear up. I did a test upload to YouTube and the video is just fine one YouTube processes it, so I'll just have to make sure my settings in Adobe Premier Pro are correct. (I'm learning to swim in the deep end with video editing.)

Have you tested the de-interlacing option in Premiere Pro to see what affect it will have on the video?

VideoGeek
Mentor

Is it a HF G20 camcorder?  If yes, have you checked to see whether or not it is manual mode?  The "motion blur" could be a result of recording in Cinema mode (depending on how fast the motion is).  Did it come with a manual?

DevilishBooster
Apprentice
Thats on my list of things to do. I don't have the camera right now because I sent it in to get the firmware updated so I can use class 10 SD cards.
Announcements