cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vixia HF R800 getting blurry while filming

ldecarufel
Apprentice

I have a Vixia HF R800 camcorder I use to film inside a church.

It is mounted on a tripod and using manual focus.

I always make sure the focus is ok before starting to record.

However, sometimes, the video becomes blurrier while recording.

The start of the video is really sharp, but after 15-30 minutes or so it gradually becomes blurrier.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

Here's an example of how blurry it gets.

The left image is a snippet from the video near the start, and the right one was taken near the end:
VixiaBlurry.png

The lighting conditions are not ideal, but I usually get good quality...

2 REPLIES 2

Mark35mmF2
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi there,

There's a couple things that could be going on here. The first could be if the focus is accidentally changed while filming. This is not the most likely since the R800 doesn't use a focus ring but it is still possible. Otherwise this could be caused by heat buildup, either by causing condensation in the lens if you are in a humid environment or by the sensor becoming warm over time. If possible I would recommend testing the camera for about 45 minutes in a diferent environment to see if the issue carries over elsewhere.

Thanks for the ideas.

Focus can't be accidently changed during filming, it's on a tripod where nobody can touch it and I let it record for about an hour without touching it.

The camera does get quite hot while filming... Is there a way to cool it down a little? Would it help to uplug it and let it film only from the battery?

I'll try testing the camera elsewhere to see if I get the same problem in a different environment.

Announcements