cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vixia HF R800 Recording Cutting

ThatCamMan
Apprentice

So I just picked this up to record our churches sermons to post on Facebook.  Previously I was using my iPhone and finally made the jump to an actual camcorder.  My problem is during the 40 minutes or so, it cuts the recroding after a certain amount of time and continues to record.  Is there a way to trun that off so it is just a continuous recording?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

VideoGeek
Mentor

To the best of my knowledge you cannot turn that off.  It has something to do with the file system and that cannot be changed via any of the settings in the camcorder.  The individual files will have to be joined in a video editing application.

I did a little testing, while watching on the camcorder, it is one continual video.  When I check out the files on my computer, it is seperated every 23 minutes and 45 seconds or 3.95 gbs.  I tried plugging the camcorder into the computer directly and copying the files over but it just showed the sd card and the same files seperated.  The video editing software I was using still showed a black screen for half a second even though the audio was matched perfectly so I may just try different software.

If you're shooting at the highest resolution, the highest quality level and the highest frame rate it will run into the built-in limit for maximum file size sooner. I think possibly that 4gb is the largest single file size allowed.

Setting the camera for a slightly lower resolution and/or slightly lower quality level (higher file size compression) and/or a slightly slower frame rate should allow you gain noticeably more continuous shooting time before you run up against the 4gb maximum file size. And by doing a bit of experimenting with the camera settings you may hardly notice any degradation in the video quality.

What about reformating the SD card to NTSF?  Would that work?

When using an external Mic the built-in Mic is still recording.  Shouldn't the audio be directed to the External mic only?

Announcements