cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vixia G60 and Mp4 tool non function

Eafworkshop
Contributor

Hi all, I have been filming an art project for about a week with a Vixia g60 for a time-lapse style video. I pause and start a lot to save card space, so each session produces around 10 separate mp4 files.

I have downloaded the Mp4 join tool from Canon, and my first few attempts haven't seemed to work at all. My first folder has 6 video files, and the tool seems to be working on something for around 20 minutes. When it is done, what I have is what seems to be just copies of those 6 videos - unchanged. Wondering if I am doing something wrong, or perhaps have misunderstood the function of the tool. 

I do plan to get the Adobe Premiere soon, does access to those tools render using the Mp4 Join Tool obsolete? Thank you for any help and advice!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I use Pegasys (TMPGenc) Smart Renderer 5 for joining and native cut editing of MP4 clips. If you cut on Key Frames it is lossless i.e. there is no re-encoding. Version 6 came out at the beginning of the year, but I haven't bothered upgrading as version 5 works just fine. Great for trimming down the original MP4 clips before editing/grading and for archiving.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Inapickle
Rising Star

@Eafworkshop wrote:
.......perhaps have misunderstood the function of the tool. 

The MP4 Join Tool is for joining clips automatically split by the camcorder. User Manual page 107:

MP4 Join Tool.PNG

IamintheUK
Rising Star
Rising Star

You will need an edit prgram such as Premiere or DaVinci Resolve to join your separate video clips.

The Join Tool is only for joining clips that are bigger than 4GB in size that the G60 itself has split. It is not made obselete by an edit program as you will still need it for those split files..

__________________________________________________________________________________________
EOS C100 mk2 with the Canon EF-S 18-135mm IS STM lens - Zoom H2n - Dell 8700 i7-4790 3.6Ghz, 24GB Ram, Win 10, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB - DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.6 - Blackmagic Speed Editor - Presonus Faderport 1 - DJI Ronin S

I use Pegasys (TMPGenc) Smart Renderer 5 for joining and native cut editing of MP4 clips. If you cut on Key Frames it is lossless i.e. there is no re-encoding. Version 6 came out at the beginning of the year, but I haven't bothered upgrading as version 5 works just fine. Great for trimming down the original MP4 clips before editing/grading and for archiving.

Eafworkshop
Contributor

Thank you for the input! no matter how many times I read something I still seem to miss what's in front of me...like looking for the ketchup in the fridge for 10 minutes. Much appreciated!

Announcements