cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video Recording in a Theater

BHAllen
Apprentice

I am using a Canon VIXIA HF G10 camcocrder and I am looking for helpful hints and suggestions on how to avoid overexposed video recordings when recording stage productions at my local high school.  

Sometimes the lights they use are so bright that faces are overexposed, but I have no control over that.  

In Manual recording mode, I have tried the Programmed AE (P) and Manual Exposure (M) Recording Programs.  Within the Programmed AE program, -3.0 on the Manual Exposure adjustment scale does not always reduce the exposure enough.  I have tried using both AE Lock settings (Normal and Highlights), but have not fully tested those settings.  When I used the Manual Exposure recording program, I could not change the F-stop number using the touch screen during recording.  (I later discovered that I could change the F-stop number by using the Custom wheel during recording.)  Using the Manual Exposure recording program gave my video a different look from the Programmed AE result.  The video was not as clear and there were "ghost" images or "trails" (I don't know the technical term for what I was seeing) whenever the subjects moved.  I was surprised that the video recorded with the Manual Exposure recording program looked so different.

Any suggestions?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert
Hi BHAllen, As you've seen, shooting in dark locations can be challenging. For movies created in a setting like this, I recommend choosing the shutter speed, and you'll want to select a shutter speed that's fast enough to stop the action, if the light levels permit this.
Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

Hi BHAllen, You're correct! I do recommend recording in the Tv Shutter-Pri. AE mode. The "stop action" comment could use clarification. Slow shutter speeds cause blurring, even within a single frame of video. Up to a point, a faster shutter speed stops that blurring, or "stops the action". Because of the dark conditions under which you'll be shooting, you're limited in the shutter speeds you're able to select. At this point, you may want to increase the "gain" setting on your camcorder. This increases it's sensitivity to light. You'll want to increase it enough to get the shot, but not too much, since this can cause its own issues, such as grainy image quality. The gain settings are described on page 55 of the VIXIA HF G10 Instruction Manual.
Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert
Hi BHAllen, As you've seen, shooting in dark locations can be challenging. For movies created in a setting like this, I recommend choosing the shutter speed, and you'll want to select a shutter speed that's fast enough to stop the action, if the light levels permit this.

Hello Richard,

I think you are suggesting that I choose the Automatic Exposure Recording Program "Tv Shutter-Pri. AE".  Is that correct?

I will have to experiment with this.  I don't understand why I would want to stop the action if I am making a video.  Can you explain please?  How will I know when I have a shutter speed that is fast enough to stop the action?

Can you suggest a shutter speed to start out with?

Thank you. 

BHAllen

Hi BHAllen, You're correct! I do recommend recording in the Tv Shutter-Pri. AE mode. The "stop action" comment could use clarification. Slow shutter speeds cause blurring, even within a single frame of video. Up to a point, a faster shutter speed stops that blurring, or "stops the action". Because of the dark conditions under which you'll be shooting, you're limited in the shutter speeds you're able to select. At this point, you may want to increase the "gain" setting on your camcorder. This increases it's sensitivity to light. You'll want to increase it enough to get the shot, but not too much, since this can cause its own issues, such as grainy image quality. The gain settings are described on page 55 of the VIXIA HF G10 Instruction Manual.

Thanks Richard.  I'll do some experimenting with increasing the gain setting while in the Tv Shutter-Pri AE mode.

BHAllen

Announcements