cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VIXIA HFR52 Recording Issues

drdoug26
Apprentice

Hi all,

I have a Six-month-old VIXIA HFR52 that shoots video flawlessly and in vivid color 80% of the time. However, sometimes the video comes out very dim even though my studio is very well lit. Sometimes it happens right at the beginning of the shoot, sometimes in the middle, and sometimes at the end. It's almost like somebody turned off half of the studio lights and everything gets dim.

Does anybody have any clue what could be causing this annoying problem?  

This is actually the second HFR52 that has demonstrated this problem (I took the first one back) but now this one is doing.

Thank you in advance and I am shooting in auto mode.

Doug

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

drdoug26,

There is not a manual exposure mode on the VIXIA HF R52.  The closest thing is the Program AE (P) mode, where there is an exposure compensation feature, allowing you to set an amount to brighten or darken the exposure if it is too much of either, but the camcorder will still automatically select the shutter speed and aperture as you continue to move the camera or subject around.  I believe the modifying your lighting is the best way to resolve this in this particular case.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Mykolas
Authority

Hi drdoug26!

The lighting itself may be causing the camera to adjust the exposure all of a sudden, making the video look dim.  This can happen if some change in the lighting is detected, like the pulse from fluorescent lights, or if you a moving the camera around. 

Does this happen if you shooting in daylight conditions where studio lighting is not a factor?

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you for writing. I have noticed that when I'm moving the camera around filming different angles of the specimen I am reviewing, it can bring on this "dimness."  Sometimes I can correct the dimness by shining the camera into one of my lights.

at about 8:45 Into this YouTube video, you can see the "dimness" as compared to the beginning of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz04D50JAEc

What's the fix?

Doug

drdoug26,

My suspicions were correct here.  The model you have in front of the camera is somewhat reflective.  When you move it or the camera around, light reflects off of the model at certain angles at the camera, causing the camera to believe the image is overexposed, thus dimming the exposure to compensate.  This is normal.  You may want to try using a software light source, or something to soften the lighting that you have.

Is there a way to turn off that automatic exposure adjusting, which would solve the problem? Thanks for your help!

drdoug26,

There is not a manual exposure mode on the VIXIA HF R52.  The closest thing is the Program AE (P) mode, where there is an exposure compensation feature, allowing you to set an amount to brighten or darken the exposure if it is too much of either, but the camcorder will still automatically select the shutter speed and aperture as you continue to move the camera or subject around.  I believe the modifying your lighting is the best way to resolve this in this particular case.

Announcements