Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
New Contributor

VIXIA HF R800 - live streaming help please!!!

Just received the Vixia HF R800 camcorder and am afraid I am missing a huge step.  Powered up, connected to laptop (Lenovo ThinkPad) with OBS and the laptop isn't recongizing the camcorder, and it doesnt look like the camcorder is recongizing it's connected either.  Using HDMI connector.  I'm a tech rookie and did all the restarts, power on/off, etc and this is starting to really bum us out.  We want to use the VIXIA for live streaming but can't get past step 2 (step 1 was it turned on and works as a camcorder).  Help, please!!!

Highlighted
Product Expert

Re: VIXIA HF R800 - live streaming help please!!!

Hi there,

Have you done this kind of live streaming on this computer before? Most often the issue I find is that most computers have an HDMI port that is output only and doesn't allow a signal input which would mean a separate capture device would be needed to convert a USB connection to HDMI input.

Otherwise, as long as the camcorder is connected to an HDMI input and switched on in the camera recording mode, the signal will go through the HDMI cable at 1080 60i.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: VIXIA HF R800 - live streaming help please!!!

Thanks @Mark35mmF2.  I have NOT done any streaming with this computer before.  Your insight makes sense and will likely need to go the route of a capture device to get this camcorder to do what I want it to.  Thanks for the quick reply!