Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VIXIA HF R800, external mic not working

YSG
Apprentice

Hi everyone

I have a HF R800 mainly to record lectures, I also have a regular external mic,

when i plug in the mic, it stops to record audio, if I unplug the mic then the machine does record audio

also the mic works on other machines

please advise

Thank you

36 REPLIES 36

The mic jack requires a powered microphone - meaning it has a battery. Unpowered will not work.

The jack requires a TRRS male plug (tip, two rings, and shield body). TRS (Tip, ring, shield) will not work.

I found one that works on Amazon. The brand name is not listed.  Apparently forum rules prohibit links to product on Amazon or other retaliers, so I can't post the link. However, if you search for this term you should find it:

External Lavalier Microphone with 20' audio cable + Accessory Bundle for Canon VIXIA HF R500-R600-R700-R800 HD Video Camcorder

crawlins, so a lavialier mic plugged into the camera won't work by itself?

I recently purchased this camera and bought a lav microphone. The first time I attempted to use the microphone no sound recorded. Of course I Googled, You Tubed,etc. I set the internal microphone to manual, made sure the battery for the external lav microphone was installed correctly and it works great.  This is the external microphone I am using, bought it off Amazon $20

Canon Vixia HF R800 Camcorder External Microphone Vidpro XM-L Wired Lavalier microphone - 20' Audio Cable - Transducer type: Electret Condenser

When you used that mic with your Android phone (I have a Galaxy S7) did you have the power on or off? Supposedly you aren't supposed to need the power. I use it with my Vixia camera and it works great, but I knew going in that it needed a powered mic.

I recently purchased this camera and bought a lav microphone. The first time I attempted to use the microphone no sound recorded. Of course I Googled, You Tubed,etc. I set the internal microphone to manual, made sure the battery for the external lav microphone was installed correctly and it works great. This is the external microphone I am using, bought it off Amazon $20

Canon Vixia HF R800 Camcorder External Microphone Vidpro XM-L Wired Lavalier microphone - 20' Audio Cable - Transducer type: Electret Condenser

"We don't support" is a BS answer. Perhaps YOUR cameras come wired improperly right out of the box. This many people should not have an issue recording with an external mic. I bought this camera BECAUSE it has an external mic jack, and here you are spitting in the face of peopel who did the same thing I did.

Tell us what mic DOES work. IS there even ONE mic that works? Likely one you sell for $1000?? I tried 3 that I know work becuase I use them on my iPad and Droid tablets. One is a TRS and the other is an TRRS.

Just walking away and saying "we don't support it" is HORRIBLE customer care.

I recently purchased this camera and bought a lav microphone. The first time I attempted to use the microphone no sound recorded. Of course I Googled, You Tubed,etc. I set the internal microphone to manual, made sure the battery for the external lav microphone was installed correctly and it works great. This is the external microphone I am using, bought it off Amazon $20

Through ton's of trial and error I have concluded that this external mic port will NOT work with a external microphone unless that external device is powered.  I ended up purchasing a Comica CVM-WM100 which works pretty good other than it "Shows" a lot of noise when recording, but on playback it sounds fine.

Agreed.

Why not tell us what microphones work with the camera?  The lavalier is not what I need because I need a microphone that has its own stand.  I know it needs external power.  Do usb powered microphones work or not?  Someone in this thread seemed to indicated that they would not work.

I'm having mostly the same issue ... however, I'm not trying to plug a microphone into the camera, but rather a stereo audio cord that routes to the output of an Allen and Heath ZED14 mixer to which I have a USB audio return for playing audio clips and music, as well as two microphones for a podcast.  When I plug the cord in, I either hear hissing, though nothing is feeding through the mixer, or I get some sort of hum.  I've adjusted all of the settings on my mixer, but still getting the background noise.  What could the issue be?  Am I not able to use this camcorder for recording my podcast?

Announcements