Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

VIXIA HF R800 HD external monitor compatible?

I recently got a Vixia HF R800 HD for filming my portfolio work.  I was wondering if the camcorder was compatible with an external monitor connected via the HDMI output to give a live feed preview to show if I am working within the frame.  Connecting a larger monitor via HDMI would help me more than the small display screen that is part of the camera.  Thank you for the help! 

Reputable Contributor

Re: VIXIA HF R800 HD external monitor compatible?

I'm not sure.  The manual just made mention that the HDMI output was for playback.  It made no mention that it would output a signal during recording.  As this is a consumer camcorder, I suspect it won't.

--
Ricky

EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L, 600EX-RT (x6), ST-E3-RT
EOS C70, RF 24-70 f/2.8L IS
New Contributor

Hi DWC, I knwo it has only been 2 days since you receivd a response to your quesion about "VIXIA HF R800 HD external monitor compatible", have you made any progress in this? 

My goal is to connect the R800 to an external monitor used to:

a) Display the video to the external monitor during recording;  

a) Or, playback the already recorded video to the external monitor.

If I come across any workable solutions for either of the abiove goals, I will let you know.

Thank you,

JohnRoland

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

I found this Canon KB for the Vixia HF G40 but not for the F800. 

Canon Knowledge Base - Connecting to an External Monitor to Playback Movies (VIXIA HF G40 / LEGRIA H...

So it may be that the ability to payback live srtream to an external monitor is beyond the capabilities fo the F800. ) :

JohnRoland

Occasional Contributor

You saved me from starting a thread! I've been through all the menus in the Vixia and if there were any way of being able to add a monitor I'm guessing there'd be a setting somewhere. I guess you could use it for playback but that would negate most of the use.