cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VIXIA HF G40 picture anomaly in the margins

t_dhawkins
Contributor

I upgraded from a G30 to this G40 several years ago but really didnt shoot video much with it until this past year. At times when shotting I thoiught I noticed a focus issue in the left and right margins of the viewfinder as I was shooting but forgot about it at the time. Later I was editing the video I shot and noticed in some situations the margins were blurred as I had seen them in the VF. This didnt happen with my G30 so I dont think it is normal.In all cases the center stays in focus and it seems like it gets worse when zooming. If I'm shooting stills with my DSLR, I would call the effect similar to bokeh or Halo but not as pronounced at the top and bottom of the frame. At least 90% of the frame (center) is unaffected. Is this typical of the G40's?

I would send it in to Canon for repairs but I would like some confirmation this is not right and that there is nothing I might do to my camera before sending it in. 

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yep, they keep the G40. I figure it's a push either way. Sell parts and deduct from retail replacement G50 or take the G50 at 20% off and no hassles.A plus is all my BP820 battery packs will fit the G50 🙂  

I had the G30 for many years and hundreds of hours of vdeo great camera... guess I got a lemon in the G40

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

I assume that is a 'trade-in/upgrade' deal for the G50 i.e. the 20% discount is effectively the trade-in value of the G40, or do you get the un-repaired G40 back, in which case you could probably sell it 'For Parts or Not Working' on Ebay ?

Yep, they keep the G40. I figure it's a push either way. Sell parts and deduct from retail replacement G50 or take the G50 at 20% off and no hassles.A plus is all my BP820 battery packs will fit the G50 🙂  

I had the G30 for many years and hundreds of hours of vdeo great camera... guess I got a lemon in the G40

Announcements